Southeast Asia forum

Flights from Siem Reap to Bangkok

• vsardi

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2007

My husband and I are flying to Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia mid-November for 3 weeks and are having difficulty finding flight availability to get from Siem Reap back to Bankok. We were hoping to do Bangkok-Luang Prabang-Luang Prabang-Siem Reap-Siem Reap-Bangkok (sit on a beach somewhere around Bangkok before heading home) I was hoping not to divert from our itinerary :( but due to the lack of flights see no other option. Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 21:47

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi vsardi,

sorry to hear that you are having trouble booking a flight for that last leg of your itinerary from siem reap back to bangkok. the only company that flies that route is bangkok airways/siem reap airways. i poked around on their website this morning and saw a few flights with seats available in mid-November, but since i don't know exactly what days you'd like to travel or how flexible your travel dates are, i don't know if any of those available flights will fit your needs or not.

if it turns out that you can't find the flights you need, there are still a few other options for you to consider that won't require large adjustments to your itinerary.

the first choice would be to take the overland route from siem reap back to bangkok. it's a long day but not an impossible chore. most people hire a taxi from siem reap to the border at poipet, then catch either a taxi or bus back to bangkok once they cross into thailand. you might even be able to head directly from the thai side of the border (aranyaprathet) to trat (for koh chang) or rayong (for koh samet) and that beach trip you had in mind.

there is a good article with tips on making this overland journey in the features section.

my concern with this route would be the road from siem reap to poipet, which is typically in awful condition, may be even worse than usual since mid-November is the end of the rainy season.

an alternative to the siem reap to bangkok route is for you and your husband to catch a bus from siem reap to phnom penh and from there catch an air asia flight (or another airline if needed) back to bangkok. that isn't much of a detour and would give you a chance to see phnom penh, which is a pretty neat place to visit as well. check out the air asia website to see if they have flights available on the date(s) you need. they are usually a low-cost option as well.

one other thing to consider, if you haven't yet, is the bangkok air pass that so many folks talk about. it may be a way for you to save money on the flights you had in mind, particularly if you are able to book that final section of your itinerary from siem reap to bangkok. the air pass requires a minimum of three flights on bangkok airways, siem reap airways, or lao airways. you need to buy the pass and book the flights before you arrive in thailand. see the bangkok airways website for details and the name of a travel agent in your area that can assist you.

i hope that helps. have a great trip. regards.

#2 Posted: 3/11/2007 - 23:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cost of flights between Bangkok and Siem Reap ... By karyn on 19 Jun 2006 3 2433 20 Jun 2006
Flights to Siem Reap from Bangkok (VISA requirement) ... By noel59 on 31 Jan 2011 3 2588 1 Feb 2011
Flights from Thailand to Siem Reap ... By tuckere on 17 Oct 2006 5 3481 17 Oct 2006
Chiang Mai to Siem Reap Flights ... By mattzago on 5 Jan 2009 4 5396 9 Jan 2009
Flights from Siem Reap to HCMC ... By ms1892 on 26 Dec 2009 2 3349 28 Dec 2009
Flights from Saigon to Siem Reap ... By Stigron on 29 Mar 2009 10 12403 30 Jul 2009
Are or Are Not Flights Going from Siem Reap to Sihoukanville Now? ... By sharoonie on 15 Dec 2011 4 2273 17 Dec 2011
Update on Flights from Pakse to Siem Reap ... By esedransk on 26 Jun 2009 1 3365 27 Jun 2009
Flights from Luang Prabang - Siem Reap ... By redmill on 1 Jan 2008 2 7951 8 Jan 2008
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap FLIGHTS ... By MILKDOG on 3 Jul 2006 6 20180 1 Nov 2008