Southeast Asia forum

How to manage your money while travelling in Asia

• Armando696

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2009
    Location Switzerland
    Total reviews: 7

The best for Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia are TC. You get a better rate then for cash, I have been travelling a lot in SE Asia, and have mostly used TC, even in Laos and Cambodia. Be aware that in Cambodia it is impossible to change TC higher then 100 $. I was unable to change a cheque of 500 $. In Laos the best rate is for cash. I changed a note of 1000 CHF in Pakse and got about a kilo of Lao kip notes, at a very good rate. Make sure that you not change to much money in Laos and Cambodia, because once outside the country it is without value. Nobody wants to buy it, except travellers heading to these countries.

#1 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 15:33

• Advertisement

• marjolijnc

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2007

If you plan to stay awhile in Thailand any branche of Bangkok Bank will open a bankaccount on the spot and issue a debit card.
    Bangkok bank has ATM's everywhere where you get cash without a fee.
    Other banks charge 20B.
    Take most of your money cash to Thailand and hit the bank first thing in the morning, or on arrivel.
    Cheapest way. Keep your cash in a moneybelt untill you hit the bank.
    I have been doing it for 15 Years, never a problem.
    If you keep 1000B in your account the account keeps for later years.
    Succes

#2 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 06:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What's the best Canadian bank to use to manage money in SE asia? ... By Handsome_Boy on 10 Sep 2009 13 8861 18 Jan 2010
How to best manage my money while in Cambodia? ... By CoraBora on 10 Jun 2012 1 2466 29 Jul 2012
Using a travel money card while travelling round Asia ... By siquick on 7 Mar 2011 0 3277 7 Mar 2011
Diabetes - how to manage in Asia? ... By agajarat on 7 Sep 2010 0 1777 7 Sep 2010