Southeast Asia forum

Accommodation Recommendations

• BaznChaz

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2007

We would like to hear from anyone with good recommendations for the following places to stay for a few nights in each location: (something reasonable with ensuite, upto $20-$50 / night)

Bangkok
    Siam Reap
    Phnom Penh
    HCMH
    Hanoi
    Chaing Mai
    Krabbi
    Phuket

Thanks in Advance
    BaznChaz

#1 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 00:17

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey B&C,

I suspect the information you want is already available in the accommodation listings on the website. There are heaps of listings for each of the places you've mentioned. They including a solid description of the property by a travelfish reviewer and their own comments/recommendations. Many of those properties also contain personal reviews from travelfishers who have stayed there. Give those a look - they are your best place to get started.

I'll give a leg up with my own personal choices for the following (all listed on travelfish with personal reviews added):

Bangkok - P.S. Guesthouse on Sukhumvit Soi 8
    Siem Reap - Two Dragons Guesthouse
    Chiang Mai - CM Blue Guesthouse

Cheers.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2007 - 05:53

• jimsparadise

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

$5-10 is realistic for respectable rooms. Forget staying in Krabi--instead take a boat to Railay Beach or bus to Ao Nang--MUCH nicer. Krabi has nothing and is loud early in the AM.
    I'd stay at Khao San rd in Bangkok, lots of action and nearby to many of the attractions. In your price range--should get something real nice with a pool--check this website for suggestions. I stay cheap at Prakorbs and Lamphu. Above suggestions for Chiang Mai and Siem Reap are great. Phnom Penh river area has excellent places in your price range--I stay at $5 places, Riverview and Angkorchey Guesthouses--try California 2 for about $20/nt. HCMC has fancy options, like Rex Hotel or an assortment of guesthouses in tourist area, District 1, all for $10/nt and very nice and clean. Hanoi--probably want the tourist area as well, Lake area, little more expensive, about $12-15 for great rooms. No reservations are needed anywhere--my places are cheaper, but everything in Vietnam seems the same, room wise at both cities. Get to the general area and look over what looks nice to you.
    Never been to Phuket--prefer less crowds with my beaches--but you're on the most informative website going in regards to accommodations and backpacker travel in general. Note: Use Air Asia for cheap flights--My BKK--Chiang Mai flight was free plus $20 for assorted taxes. Bkk-Krabi is about $12+ those same taxes. Pacific air in Vietnam is also cheap. Hey, Good luck--the travel to all these areas is so easy--nothing needs to be booked in advance--you can to ease your mind, but not necessary. Use this website, write down 3 places for each city that appeal to you and you're set.

#3 Posted: 25/11/2007 - 16:25

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hello, Ive not been to every place you mention but here are some places I can recommend for these areas.

Bangkok.

Banglamphuu (Ko San Rd)

I could recommend loads for bangkok. Ive stayed in guest houses in Ko san Road and ive rented rooms by the month in Satron and I have lived in apartments in bang kae and other places out the tourist areas.

Basically, I would not recommend Ko san road myself as (in my opinion) you get treated like shit by the Thais here. And I dont blame them becuase the way some people act in thier country is discracefull. Altho I sometimes go to Ko san for a night out with friends I wouldnt want to stay in a bed bug ridden room there.

If I did, stay in this area again I would stay just off Ko San Rd - The Royal Hotel (Hotel Ratanakosin for the Taxi Driver)

Pratunam - Bangkok Palace Hotel, Grand Diomand hotel, Samran Place - all fine places to stay.

Sukhumvit - loads of places to stay here. Just one big hotel init?

Silom/Satorn if I am staying longterm (a month or more) I would recommend 'The Blooms Residence' Its a difficult one to find and out the way but the rates are good, rooms are clean and its got the only luandry in Thailand I would use! Or try the montien in Silom if you have money.

Siam Reap - I can recommend the Sydney Angkor Hotel. Not to far from the centre and rooms for about $10 a night. Clean and with aircon. In about one week I will be in Seam Reap and will be staying at the Royal Crown. Will let you know what thats like after.

Chaing Mai - I love Chaiang Mai! was living here for about 6 months justr last year while waiting for a visa.

Guest house near the night bazzar - Galare Guest house. I recommend this for location and warm rooms.

Krabbi (Ao Nang) Best place out of about 4 hotels I have stayed in here is 'Wannas Place'. Right on the road looking to the sea. With bungalows and a swimming pool. Would stay here again.

Phuket - I cant remember the name of a couple of places here but 1 I can. The Royal Paradise Hotel. (The big one in the middle of Patong) It has big rooms and the best chinese food Ive had!

Have a great trip!

#4 Posted: 28/12/2007 - 18:09

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

In Phuket I recommend the Summer Hotel near Rang Hill 270B for a double room with fan and 350B for a double room with aircon. Both have ensuite bathrooms and it is a nice clean hotel near the 'old town' in Phuket City. Easy to get to the beaches from there too.

#5 Posted: 1/1/2008 - 00:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Accommodation Recommendations-Various Locations ... By littlemisstypeA on 29 Dec 2008 1 1698 29 Dec 2008
Looking for Chiang Mai Accommodation Recommendations ... By Surefolly on 4 Aug 2014 7 916 3 Sep 2014
Any Recommendations for Singapore Accommodation? ($200 or less) ... By JenHarley on 2 Jan 2012 7 3638 28 Jan 2013
URGENT - Any recommendations for accommodation in Pai? ... By nathandjen on 5 Jul 2009 10 4562 11 Nov 2009
Any Accommodation recommendations for Full Moon?? ... By hupourdat on 18 Mar 2009 1 2427 19 Mar 2009
Accommodation recommendations Bangkok and ko pha ngan ... By slow_mo on 12 Jul 2011 9 2535 15 Jul 2011