Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Beach hideaways in Asia

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/12/2007 at 12:46 admin

We've just added a new feature story to Travelfish, some of our tips for Beach hideaways in Asia. You'll have no doubt heard of some of the spots -- but hopefully not all of them, and we hope they help you find a strip of sand that suits your needs.

Just to pre-empt questions about us listing Phu Quoc as a hideaway (anywhere on Phu Quoc that can be booked online is pretty much full over the entire silly season), bear in mind it is a big island and the bulk of places cannot be booked online -- they don't even have email addresses -- so don't lose hope!

Comments, as usual, are welcome.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by meyers66 on 12/12/2007 at 15:57

Hi, My wife and I have been to Thailand 6 times. We have 17 days. We are looking for some ideas and suggestions. We like quiet, simple places with decent food and not a lot of pressure from touts. We are interested in exploring a National Park and hanging on the beach in the South. We are not into the blaring music scene or overly developed 4-5 star places. We've been to Khao Sok NP, Samui, Koh Pan Nang, Koh Tao, beaches south of Klanom. I'd like to explore the South without being in the Muslim conflict. I'm thinking about the Andaman Coast resorts, Nakorn Si Thummarat area beaches, and Khao Luang National Park. Perhaps around Krabi but I'm concerned about over development. We like wildlife without the leeches (both human and insect). IOW's we want it all. Ha ;) Ideas? BTW check out the Cd O by Damien Rice. Brilliant. This is a great site. Cheers to the web masters.

#2 meyers66 has been a member since 5/1/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by sergejsu on 13/12/2007 at 09:48

Koh Lanta seems to be good compromise between (over)development and quiet and secluded becahes. I find the beaches are at Kantiang Bay, Khlong Nin beach and Mai Pai bay beach.

The ersort I like the most is Layana resort on teh lOng beach, as a whole it is very enyobale experience. And no more than 1-2 persons walking in front of you at teh beach in nearest 15 min. :)

#3 sergejsu has been a member since 16/10/2007. Location: Latvia. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/12/2007 at 13:29 admin

Hi meyers66 -- glad you like the site.

That's a good tip by sergejsu, but I reckon Ko LaoLiang (mentioned in the aforementioned story) could be right up your alley.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by lauraskrink on 17/3/2008 at 14:20

If you in the vicinity of Ko Lanta and want something a little more laid-back then head to Ko Jum. If you take the ferry from Krabi to Lanta it will stop half way and drop you off!

The island is small with a handful of great resorts for most budgets. spend the days chillaxing, eating great food, snorkelling, kayaking or just reading! You can also use it to visit Phi Phi which is onlt an hour or so boat ride away!

Trust me it is great!

#5 lauraskrink has been a member since 20/9/2007. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.