Southeast Asia forum

25 days in Thailan, Laos, and Cambodia

• zachmoore

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2007

Hey - we're heading to S/E Asia for a mid winter holiday,(january - february) be in the area for 25 days - mostly focused on Laos and Cambodia - Angkor. We're flying in and out of bangkok and then our rough plan is to head north to Chang Rai and take the boat to Louang Prabang, spend a few days there then work our way south hanging out some along the way; not really sure where - make our decisions along the way. From Pakxe we'll head back to thailand to get down to poipet and cross into Cambodia. Do angkor for a couple of days and then see where things take us and work our way back to bangkok to head home.

Any suggestions that we really need to do - mind blowing or super chill. Would like to do some backpacking/hiking in the mountains in Laos. Do we need sleeping bags and pads etc - we live in mongolia so the only ones we have are super warm bags - probably too much. alternatives?.

Is the slow boat to LP worth the time or is a fast boat a better option because of time?

Does the cambodia e-visa work well at poipet, any hassles crossing?

Saw someone said, just a day or two for angkor - others have said many days, suggestions?

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Zach.

#1 Posted: 15/12/2007 - 18:03

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Zach,

You don't need sleeping bags -- unless you're planing on sleeping out.

Slow boat is worth the extra time -- ab-sol-ute-ly!

evisa at PoiPet - no problems

Amount of time at Angkor -- depends on how into ruins you are. I'd say two days satisfies most people, but three or four days works for some. It's a personal decision -- I've been there probably a dozen times and still find it interesting.

I mentioned this in my post to your other question, I'd suggest, rather than going into Thailand then to Cambodia, instead cross at the southern border into Cambodia, then to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Once you're finished there, press on to Bangkok. That reduces some needless backtracking, and you get to see Phnom Penh as well.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 17/12/2007 - 06:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.