Southeast Asia forum

traveling south east asia alone

• unphazedd

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2007

hi all,

ive been planning a trip to the region for some time now, and was going with a good friend. hes just told me he cant come and so now im doing this 4 week trip alone. i am planning on going to thailand, laos, vietnam and cambodia (in that order) - does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about doing a trip like this solo...id really love some feedback as the idea of it right now seems completely overwhelming...thanks!

#1 Posted: 16/2/2008 - 19:53

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

Lots of people travel in Se Asia solo and if you've been planning the trip for a while, then you've got the hard bit out of the way.

The big traveller magnets are ideal for meeting others doing the same kind of thing, so look for a guesthouse with a good vibe and you'll be starting off on the right foot.

#2 Posted: 17/2/2008 - 10:06

• backpackerg-
    al

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2008

I have just got back from travelling South East Asia alone (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and southern China) and I have to say I never once felt threatened or unsafe. in fact I found the people to be friendly, helpful and very nice (but often curious!). of course, I would always suggest the usual safety advice (don't flash the cash, keep to main streets etc) but I felt safer in South East Asia than I have done walking around London. I always make sure I know where I am going when I arrive somewhere, that way you are less of a target for some crafty taxi drivers (often hostels nad guesthouses will arrange a pickup from the airport or station so ask in case they can meet you). Have a great time, enjoy the wonders of SEA.

#3 Posted: 18/2/2008 - 21:27

• anya_lukover

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2008

Hello - reading this has filled me with confidence as I am going alone as well. However, and it's not a request because of laziness, but if anyone has a suggested itinery for me, it would be muchly appreciated. I will be waving my friends off from Bangkok on 7th September, and then would like to spend 2-2half months covering Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos, but really have no idea which way round is best for the time of year. I don't need to be travelling every single day - I just want an adventure. Just nervous about not taking the best route that's all so any help would be great :)
    x

#4 Posted: 22/5/2008 - 16:36

• withshoeson

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2007
    Total reviews: 3

Hey anya

I took the following route,

Cambodia -> Vietnam -> Laos

-Cambodia
    Siem Reap, Battambang, Phnom Pehn, Kampot, Kep
    -Vietnam
    Saigon(via the delta), Dalat, Na Trang, Hoi An, Hein(on a two day moto tour), Hue, Hanoi, Halong, Mai Chau (on the way to Laos border)
    -Laos
    Vieng Xai, Xam Nuea, Phonsavan, Luang Prabang, Vientiane.

If you get a map you understand where I went. I used two rather long and intricate boarder crossings (Camboddia to Vietnam and Vietnam to Laos)

I recomend grabing a guide book, or using this site and make a list of the places you like the sound of, then join the dots (so to speak) to get your route.

Have fun!

#5 Posted: 24/5/2008 - 16:15

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

My comment is that if you've never been to SEA before, 4 weeks for 4 countries is really pushing it. I did it solo in Viet recently in 3.5 weeks/one country. I like to stay a little longer in places that I really like and get to know an area quite well. As far as being alone quite a bit of the time, yes, it does get lonely at times (solution - book short local group tours, and be very flexible). One thing that really impressed me about Viet - when you're alone at a restaurant they don't treat you badly as they often do in the US (I was treated very very well everywhere I went).

#6 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 07:45

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Somtam is right! When you stay in inexpensive places people stick together and it's so easy to make new friends (not so in those fancy places where everyone has their own private tour guide!)

#7 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 07:49

• michelled

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2013

Hey, I am flying to Bangkok on 1st July and travelling alone.
    What dates are people travelling-anyone fancy meeting up?
    I am a 21 year old female.

Michelle

#8 Posted: 9/6/2013 - 04:10

• Memorias

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2013
    Location Spain

michelled,

Thailand is a very safe and friendly country for travel alone, don´t worry about that You will find a lots of friends at the hostel or at the train or plane.

If you have any questions please tell me, but it´s very funny for go alone, but you must go to Kao Sand Road were you can meet other backparkers .-

GOOD TRIP !!! ENJOY IT !!!

#9 Posted: 9/6/2013 - 19:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"...when you're alone at a restaurant they don't treat you badly as they often do in the US."

And if you think the US is bad, try Germany. When I lived there the issue was brought up in a TV show and they interviewed service personnel about being polite to the customers. Somehow one of the service persons interviewed misunderstood the question and said "I think it's very important for the customers to be polite." I love German food and the ambience of German restaraunts but the surely waitresses that are too often the case - brutal.

#10 Posted: 9/6/2013 - 23:45

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

1 There's no best route. Plan your trip around your interests.

2 4 countries in 4 weeks is Contiki like rush around. To experience one of the larger islands you need 5-7 days and 3-5 days for a city like Bangkok so you can't even scratch the surface of a country in 7 days unless it's small like Singapore. For 4 weeks I'd only do 1 country or 2 at most with a total of 5-7 destinations. You don't want to be packing/unpacking every second day and looking out bus windows all the time.

3 If you pick a few tourist sites that interest you and combine it with some off the beaten path destinations you'll get a more rounder experience.

#11 Posted: 10/6/2013 - 20:19

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Good advice from Leonard here.

#12 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 00:08

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

I've traveled alone for 5 trips to this area, and I think solo travel is not hard at all. Meeting people in SE Asia is much easier than in the States or Europe for me.

My reaction to your plans of 4 countries in 4 weeks is this: SLASH AND BURN THAT ITINERARY

I usually find that 4 weeks is not enough for Vietnam alone - were you thinking of using a helicopter? Don't spread yourself so very very thin - cut that down to 2 countries max!

(edit - now I see the dates, from '08)

#13 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 12:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

2008 haha I didn't see that either. The other posts are from 2013 though. Wonder how his/her trip went? They never came back to say.

#14 Posted: 11/6/2013 - 21:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
South East Asia - Dec & Jan ... By Greatlookinguy on 3 Nov 2012 5 1461 11 Nov 2012
South East Asia-going alone?? ... By bbtomlin on 29 Aug 2014 8 1563 8 Nov 2014
plugs in south east asia ... By JamesHamblin on 13 Apr 2009 1 6339 14 Apr 2009
July in South East Asia! ... By Goodmango on 17 Apr 2012 11 5201 2 Dec 2012
YOGA IN SOUTH EAST ASIA! ... By Rashida on 7 Aug 2013 5 1675 18 Sep 2013
Teaching in South East Asia ... By samsie23 on 1 Nov 2010 11 4561 26 Aug 2011
Is USD still best currency for south east asia? ... By siddy on 22 Oct 2010 4 6705 22 Oct 2010
12 months in South East Asia ... By amieekb on 9 Sep 2013 8 2051 10 Sep 2013
3 months South-East Asia ... By pimvanhees on 27 Nov 2011 2 2833 28 Nov 2011
The cheapest way to get around South East Asia? ... By sarahjmac on 19 Mar 2013 8 9888 20 Mar 2013