Southeast Asia forum

Is this trip crazy?

• lposten

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2008

Hi all:

I am planning my trip to SE Asia and I really need some pointers.

I'm going for 5 weeks and I would like to fit in Guilin, China, Philippines, Cambodia & Thailand.

My current itinerary is:
    -Hong Kong sightsee (11th-13th)
    -Visit Guilin Province, Li River, Guilin,Yangshuo(14th-17th)
    -Visit Zhaoxing (18th-20st)

Fly into Manila, Philippines: (20th-30th)
    -Banaue & Sagada (3 days)
    -Puerto Galera (3 days)
    -Palawan (4 days)

Fly into Bangkok, Thailand: (1st-14th)
    -Northern Thailand
    -Pai, Mae Hong Son (possible trek, any suggestions?)
    -Visit Angkor, Cambodia (Is flying best? Can I fly from Northern Thailand somewhere to cut down travel time?)
    -Southern Thailand
    -Surat Thani, Ko Samui, Chumphon

Is this feasible? I am such a planner and this trip is driving me crazy. I just want to be there already. I'm pretty set for everything but I really need some Thailand/Cambodia travel advice.

Thanks so much!

#1 Posted: 5/3/2008 - 03:10

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For your Thailand section (I can't help with the others) you're trying to fit a lot into two weeks. You'll need at least 3 days for Angkor (including getting there and away, flying), leaving you with 11 days. Allow three days for a trek (I'd recommend Pai), leaving you with eight days, say two in Bangkok, and then Samui. That's before allowing for transport time.

So yes, it is doable, but you'll be rushing. Unless you're really set on the beach portion, I'd lean towards skipping it and spending more time in Chiang Mai -- from where you can fly to Siem Reap direct by the way. CM has loads to offer, plus with more time you'll be able to spend a bit more time exploring the north - eg Chiang Dao or Mae Hong Son.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 6/3/2008 - 10:10

• lposten

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2008

Thanks for the response. I think I will have an extra 2 days for the trip so I'm going to try and fit it in. Do you have any idea how much the flights are from Chiang Mai to Siem Reap? That would be the most convenient as long as its not too expensive. Thanks for all the advice!

#3 Posted: 6/3/2008 - 21:37

• allen_moret-
    sky

Joined Travelfish
    14th February, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

Don't want to make your choices more difficult, but I just today booked a flight on the 1st Saigon to Manila flight on Cebu Pacific Airlines. The price of the ticket - $25, but with taxes, the complete price was $84.

You could easily do the Philippines first or last on your itinerary to save a bit of money. For example, the Philippines to Vietnam and overland from there to the other SE Asian countries of Cambodia/Laos/Thailand. I see that you didn't mention Vietnam or Laos in this, so excuse me for mentioning them. I found Laos just spectacular and Vietnam a good value.

Allen

#4 Posted: 29/3/2008 - 15:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.