Southeast Asia forum

Could you guys take a look at my itinerary?

• skoczko

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2008

Hi All,

We're planning a trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam this summer. I've done some research on travelfish and wikitravel and I come up with this itinerary:

travel stay city transport
    12h 5h Bangkok plane
    1h 2,5d Siem Reap plane
    8h 2,5d Phnom Penh boat/bus
    8h 2,5d Saigon bus
    3-5h-5h 0,5d Can Tho boat/bus
    3h 2h Rach Gia bus
    3h-8h 3d Phu Quoc (An Thoi) hydrofoil/ferry
    3h-8h 2h Rach Gia ferry
    3h 2h Ha Tien bus
    1h30min 1,5d Kep bus
    30min 1,5d Kampot bus
    2h 1,5d Sihanoukville bus
    5h 2h Koh Kong ferry
    5h 2h Laem Ngop bus
    1h 5,5d Ko Chang ferry
    1h 2h Laem Ngop ferry
    1h-5h 2d Bangkok bus/plane

First of all, do you think it's doable in one month? I mean it looks like a pretty tight schedule and maybe it makes more sense to cut down on some places to spend more time in others? Second, we plan to go there in June/July. It's the rainy season and I'm really concernred that it's gonna wash us out completely. How bad is it really? And third, we plan to take 2500 bucks each, it that gonna be enough for one month travelling?

Thanks in advance. Any hints, corrections to the itinerary are more than welcome.

Cheers,
    jacob

#1 Posted: 7/3/2008 - 05:00

• Advertisement

• travelino

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2008

Hey Jacob,

2500 USD per month? Geez, I would say 500 USD are doable (that is w/o airfares within Asia, which IMHO are not necessary in the first place...). However, I think you are planning too much. In SE Asia you should go with the flow and not try to do as much as possible... Don't plan on buses being on time and stuff... It is a totally different experience compared to the Western world...
    And here is a more personal opinion/preference and a lot of people might disagree: I wouldn't spent too much time in touristy Thailand and Vietnam. Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar are much more rewarding in my humble opinion... And each one of these by itself deserve more than 2 month+...

Have fun!
    M

#2 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 11:59

• travelino

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2008

Oh,

by the way... I personally don't care about the heat and humidity in the rainy season... Depends what you are inclined to. However, rainy season definitely makes traveling slower...

M

#3 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 12:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jacob,

That's a pretty interesting way routing -- but as you correctly point out, rain will be an issue. On Ko Chang for example, June, July and August are the three wettest months of the year, and you'll also be in the wet for the Cambodian coast and Phu Quoc island -- for the latter in particular it can be an issue as the boats don't run (sometimes for days on end -- in which case you need to fly) if the weather is particularly bad... that can be a problem if you've got a tight itinerary as you do.

It seems like you're going a good deal out of the way to spend a couple of days on Phu Quoc... my gut feeling would be to spend a few more days elsewhere and save Vietnam for another trip.

As travelino, $2500 a head is plenty -- loads in fact.

But back to the weather -- aside from it slowing things down, sitting around on a beach in the pouring rain isn't my idea of a great holiday, so that leaves you with two options -- cross your fingers and hope for good weather (wet season is rarely torrential rain day in day out, but rather a few hours of rain most days), or rearrange your trip to go to other islands in Thailand where the weather isn't so wet -- it really depends on how much sunbaking you want to get done.

Also, I concur with travelino about don't get bogged down in the scheduling buses run "when they go", and take "as long as they need" timetables and trip times are as a guide only, so you'll need to build in a little allowance for "Oh sorry, no bus today" type moments.

Still, weather aside, reads like a pretty good routing to me.

#4 Posted: 8/3/2008 - 12:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.