Southeast Asia forum

Vietnam & Cambodia at Christmas

• peekadog

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2008

We will be traveling in Vietnam & Cambodia around the holidays this year. Is this a big holiday in the region? Are things closed? Are things crowded and lines long?

What about availability of hotel rooms? Are things booked in advance or can we get rooms when we arrive at our destination?

Thanks much!

#1 Posted: 21/3/2008 - 03:36

• Advertisement

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hi peekadog

I was in Saigon, Christmas and Siem Reap at New Year 2006, my experience was that while your first choice of accommodation may not be available there are plenty of places to stay - it might take a little extra foot work to find a room but you will find somewhere to stay.

Regards

Marian

#2 Posted: 21/3/2008 - 16:43

• peekadog

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2008

Thanks, Marian. That's helpful.
    What about things being closed or crowded? Anything to watch out for or avoid?

#3 Posted: 22/3/2008 - 01:04

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Hey you're in SE Asia of course it's crowded. Imagine Christmas Eve in Saigon, thats a big celebration for them, there is a roundabout between the main market and the bus station - It seemed like all 10m people in Saigon were there, on their motorbikes - biggest traffic jam I've ever seen. It was amazing. As for anything closed I can't remember that there was, business as usual everywhere.

One thing I recommend to try is 'the all you can eat buffet' on Le Thi Hong Gam in Saigon. the road adjacent to the Art Museum. 11-2, 6-9 it's not really an obvious place the banner is in Viet but lots of people go in and out. Incredible variety of food on offer mostly labelled gives an opportunity to try lots of stuff, fresh seafood etc, mostly locals, waitstaff on rollerblades. About $10 US for dinner expensive for Vietnam but worth it for a splurge.

Travel well

Marian

#4 Posted: 22/3/2008 - 03:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.