Southeast Asia forum

Location Hunt: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam?

• Py

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2008

Hi there,

I'm going backpacking this summer (july-august) for the very first time with a friend of mine. Seeing as how we have no experience at all we'd rather not run into many problems and therefore we'd like to avoid the rain as much as possible. Rain is a criterium in deciding where to go, so we were wondering in which country it rains the least (if there even is such a place). I've read that Vietnam would probably be the best to visit during this time (least rain) but I don't have too many references to validate this info. So if anyone could help us out a bit, that would be great (since you guys seem experts and all). Thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/3/2008 - 16:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

What are you interested in? Islands, national parks, cities, chillign out, paties etc etc -- with some more info from you, I can make some useful suggestions.

#2 Posted: 22/3/2008 - 19:46

• Py

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2008

Hey!

We're looking for a good mix of everything. We really appreciate nature, good vieuws, stuff like that. Cities aswell, but only the one's worth seeing, or a few local villages are always nice to see the locals. But I think that every country has good things to offer. Getting around and keeping ourselves amazed shouldn't be such a problem, keeping ourselves dry, that's the challenge. So, where would you reckon would be the best to visit during wet season?

#3 Posted: 23/3/2008 - 22:52

• natwest

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2008
    Location China

Do u realise that the summer is rainy season in the entire SEA? So for less rainfall maybe u could try a landlocked country like Laos, cos I know Thailand n VN rains a lot. My experience with Thailand (Phuket) is that it rains very regularly and regular timings too. Around afternoon everyday, it bounds to rain for a few hrs. So the best place to avoid the rain is indoor. Don't worry too much its only a few hrs and the air is much fresher after tha rain.

But I guess hanging around the city during rain time would be a bit better than the beach or hill.

I think u can see plenty of villages on your way to your next destination.

#4 Posted: 28/3/2008 - 17:50

• Py

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2008

What about this: Where would you go (choosing from those 4 countries) if you only had one month, wished to travel cheap and easy (using public transportation) and yet get a beautifull variety of things (culture, nature, etc.)?

We're flying from Belgium so either way the cheapest airline ticket would be to Bangkok seeing as how it is the closest to us. Are flights from Bangkok to nearby countries expensive?

#5 Posted: 30/3/2008 - 06:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3361 25 Apr 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand - Good Plan? ... By PeterJW on 25 Sep 2011 3 3109 27 Sep 2011
Travel buddies wanted SE Asia (Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand) 22nd Nov - 1st Feb ... By LottieJ on 14 Nov 2012 0 1209 14 Nov 2012
23yo male, frm uk, 3months travelling Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand.. Jan2011 ... By benrob87 on 6 Oct 2010 4 2926 11 Dec 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to Thailand ... By JamesHamblin on 8 Apr 2009 8 6593 11 Apr 2009