Southeast Asia forum

Please Help: only 13 Days in SE Asia

• rewein

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008

unfortunately I can only take 10 business days off of work to take this trip. If I leave Saturday and come back Sunday, that's 16 days with 13 days after travel. Initially I was thinking only Thailand with a stop in Angkor, now that I've been reading, I want to see everything, but still only 13 days on the ground. Here are the locations that are on the list now:

Arrive Bangkok 1 day
    Fly to Chiang Mai 3 days
    Fly to Luang Prabang 2 days
    Fly to Hanoi 1 day
    Fly to Hue and Hoi An 2 days
    Fly to Saigon 2 days
    Fly to Siem Reap-Angkor 2 days
    back to Bangkok for flight home.

We prefer cultural and natural sights to cities, so I am considering a minimal stay in Bangkok and Hanoi. I know the least about Luang Prabang, Hanoi, and Saigon. We are good with long days, just want to see the most we can. This trip will be July-August.

I know this is not the ideal and I would love to spend months here, but since I can't, please let me know your suggestions to get the most out of a short trip.

THANKS!!

#1 Posted: 23/3/2008 - 21:49

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, Im sorry but I dont think that so little time in each place is a good idea at all. I understand that you want to see it all in a short time but I dont think you will see anything with such little time.

Better to just got to Thailand and a trip to Angkor for a few days but if not try some of this.....

1 day in Bangkok - Start early, go to the Grand palace then wat po, then wat arrun and then that could take you to the afternoon depends on how fast you walk! Like Thai food? Eat at any street stall with other Thais eating there. You could get another attraction in in the after noon and then in the evening go to sun lum night bazzar / patpong (this is thi culture!) or Ko san road (depending on what you like)

I would love to recommend you loads of places to see in BKK like the baiyoke sky tower, sukhumvit area, and various other wats and monuments but in one day you aren't gonna see much, not properly anyway.

3 Days in Chiang Mai is a bit more Time. If you like elephants their are a few places to see them such as Mae Teang (north of CM) and they have river raft rides and off road 4x4 and that sort of thing. That could take you a day. In the evening go see the night bazzar in chang klan. A couple of other things in chaing mai are Wat Doi Suthep, CM Zoo and a tour of the old walls and inner-city temples. There are other things around chiang mai as well you could arrange a day trip to.

2 days at Angkor! That is not enough. I love this place and have been a couple of times and will be going back again. Heres a list of the best *in my opinion* places to see in the 'angkor thom area' as they are all together. I think you will be wasting time going to the further-away temples.

Angkor Wat.
    Ta Prom.
    Bayon. (And Angkor Thom)
    Preah Khan.

A boat trip on Tonal Sap is worth the effort to get to and for grub the Red Piano has some of the best asian food! (when we went anyway) A vist to the 'old market' in the centre is worth it too and the Cambodia Culture Centre is and interesting place.

Heres some photos of Seam Reap & Angkor Wat. (and check my other albums for Thailand, malaysia, Loas, Indonesia ect..)
    http://travel.webshots.com/album/562649702vuhkls

Hope some of this helps and let us know how it goes. ;)

#2 Posted: 24/3/2008 - 05:14

• rewein

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008

Thanks for your feedback, I also spoke to a friend who said we would be best off spending at least a week in northern Thailand and then hitting only one other place Angkor/Luang Prabang/Hanoi. I now think I can take a couple more days for the trip, about 15 days on the ground, so we would like to try to hit Northern Thailand + Luang Prabang + Angkor/Siem Reap leaving all of Vietnam for another trip. Any other responses are appreciated!

#3 Posted: 26/3/2008 - 02:36

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Take a look into Bangkok Airway's Discovery AirPass -- could save you quite a bit with your flights.

I think nixing Hanoi is a good idea -- 15 days will be far more comfortable doing North thailand, LP and Siem reap than trying to fit Vietnam in as well.

#4 Posted: 26/3/2008 - 14:19

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I would agree with Northen Thailand and another place. Angkor Wat and the other ruins really are amazing!

:)

#5 Posted: 30/3/2008 - 20:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.