Southeast Asia forum

May/June in Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao

• RavennaHouse

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008

Hello,

My husband and i are setting out for a 4 week trip to Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam from May 15-June15. We know....this is the hottest and perhaps, wettest part of the year, but this is the time we have, and SE Asia is our favorite destination.

Does anybody have any recomendations for traveling in these countries during this time of year? We want to see a lot and are not averse to flying when needed to cover some territory. Any suggestions are much appreciated. PS -- we've both travled extensively in China, Nepal, Malaysia, India, etc...so are seeking adventure, nothing too touristy...

#1 Posted: 27/3/2008 - 01:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It depends really on where you want to go within each of the countries. Cambodia is pretty compact, so assuming you're just planing on covering Siem Reap and Phnom Penh it shouldn't be too much of a challenge, but for Vietnam and Laos, it can be a bit more tricky -- the former because of its size, the latter because transport tends to be very slow.

I'd suggest a good place to start would be the travel itineraries section which should help to give you an idea of what can realistically be covered in a given period.

Also, if you're planning on flying a bit, look into Air Asia for very cheap fares and Bangkok Airways for their Discovery Airpass.

The main misjudgement people make is trying to see too much in too short a time. Four weeks is a reasonable stretch, but the days go quickly unless you're flying a lot of legs. Feel free to post a tentative itinerary for feedback.

Cheers - and welcome to Travelfish!

#2 Posted: 28/3/2008 - 12:03

• sunshinekc

Joined Travelfish
    25th March, 2008

Agreed with somtan2000,

In 4 weeks , try not to cover too much and it would probably wear you out. Places in ASIA is to be enjoyed and at a slow pace where ambiance and enjoying the surrounding is normal.

Besides P.Phen & Siem Reap, may I suggest to visit LAOS - Vientaine and then cross over to Thailand at Nong Kai. Then take a slow trip along the Mighty Mekong River - West towards Chaing Kiang & Loei.

AirAsia serve these location quite well so getting to Bangkok is not a problem.

If you have not visited Thailand, then there are lots of things to do. Do check the many web-sites about Thailand. For transport check out car or m.cycle rental there.

#3 Posted: 2/4/2008 - 18:55

• cbw1491

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2008

I am thinking of traveling through Thailand for the Month of May - I am concerned about the heat and rain (although the rain may be welcome so long as it is not constant) - does anyone have suggesting on the best places to visit during this time of year? Also, I am open to visiting other SE Asia countries, if you think there is a better area this time of year - I am all ears?

Thanks,
    cbw1491

#4 Posted: 21/4/2008 - 20:22

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I have spent the months of April and May in central Laos and found it to be quite nice, whereas at the same time, the heat of central and southern Thailand was oppressive. It didn't rain much, and when it did it was a relief. For the most part, the weather was gorgeous.

I strongly recommend that you try to be in Laos during the Boun Bang Fai Festival. It's a blast (pardon the pun ... but it really is!), and more interesting than celebrations in Thailand. It usually happens around mid-May, but the dates vary in different parts of Laos.

#5 Posted: 21/4/2008 - 20:58

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Hey, I was in Cambodia and Vietnam in May/June 2007. Whilst it was very hot, the rain wasn't a problem - it only rained about 3-4 times in the 5weeks that we were over there, each time, only for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Try not to do too much in too little time. For example, Cambodia has so much more to offer besides PP and SR. The beaches in Sihanoukville are beautiful - far less touristy than Thailand - and the countryside surrounding Battambang is so pretty.

#6 Posted: 22/4/2008 - 04:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.