Southeast Asia forum

Plane Ticket

• andysch

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2008

Hi, I am planning to travel around SE Asia for a few months. Does anyone have any money saving tips for purchasing a round trip airplane ticket? I plan on leaving from Chicago or Minneapolis & would like to fly into Bangkok. The round trip tickets I have come across are so expensive. Is it better to purchase two one way tickets? Would I run into problems at immigration if I have not purchased my return ticket until I am already in Thailand?
    Thank you.

#1 Posted: 7/4/2008 - 08:21

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, I have never had a problem in Thailand for not having a ticket out of the country. I think as long as you got enough money to buy one you should be ok if you are actually asked. As for money saving tips for the tickets. I think bangkok airways do a multiple stop ticket. Might be called a discovery pass? Try asking somtam2000 about that, sure he knows more.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2008 - 00:47

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Andy,

Japan Airlines usually has some of the best prices out of Chicago. Around mid to late summer they start to announce their seat sales and they usually clock in at around 850 U$ roundtrip. I see them even now for less than 900 U$. These are not high prices. Purchasing two one way tickets is no way to save money and should be considered only if you plan on flying home from somewhere other than where you flew into.

Happy Hunting.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 03:51

• andysch

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2008

Thanks for the advise. My other concern is I don't know exactly when I would like to leave Thailand. That was one of the reasons I was thinking it may be better to try to purchase one ways. I was going to try to bid online for tickets. But the Japan Airline prices sound really good, I have not checked them yet, I will have to look on their website.

#4 Posted: 17/4/2008 - 11:16

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

You can choose a return date and then change it later if you need to. I have done that with JAL numerous times and they've always been great about it. I've never been charged for it, either, but that may not be the same any longer.

I doubt you'll find great prices on their website. I always relied on my travel agent who's company deals closely with the JAL sales reps (inventory control guys). I also saw them on Travelocity, Kayak, and a few others.

Good luck.

#5 Posted: 17/4/2008 - 23:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa or plane ticket first? ... By cubedweller on 3 Feb 2009 7 4397 5 Feb 2009
When is a good time to buy my plane ticket? ... By molocono on 2 Oct 2010 9 3372 30 Mar 2012