Southeast Asia forum

Please critique my 45 day SE asia itinerary

• relf

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2008

Arriving in BKK on April 22 and leaving BKK on June 05 (45 days). This is a modified version of the big travelfish itinerary. PLEASE comment!

1) Arrive in Bangkok (early morning); recover from jet lag
    2) Leave early to Sukhothai; travel around Sukhothai
    3) Spend the day in Sukhothai; take o/n train to Chaing Mai
    4,5) Explore Chiang Mai
    6) TRAVEL DAY (Chiang Mai to Huay Xai); spend night in Huay Xai
    7, 8, 9) Waterfall Gibbon Experience
    pend night in Huay Xai
    10, 11) Slow boat
    12, 13, 14) Explore Luang Prabang
    15) Travel from LP to Vang Vieng
    16) Explore Vang Vieng
    17) Travel from VV to Vientiane; explore Vientiane
    18) Explore Vientiane
    19) TRAVEL DAY (Vientiane to Pakse); spend night in Pakse
    20) Explore Pakse (travel to Ubon ratchathani for o/n train to Bangkok)
    21) TRAVEL DAY Bangkok to Aranyaprathet to Siem Reap; spend night in SR
    22,23) Explore Angkor Wat
    24) Leave early to Phnom Penh, explore PP
    25) explore PP
    26) TRAVEL DAY (Phnom Penh to HCMC)
    27,28) Explore HCMC
    29) Fly from HCMC to De Chiang Maig; spend day in Hoi An
    30) Explore Hoi An
    31) Travel to Hue; spend night in Hue
    32) Explore Hue; take o/n train to Hanoi
    33) Explore Hanoi
    34) Hanoi to Ha Long Bay (package trip)
    35) Ha Long Bay
    36) Ha Long Bay to Hanoi; explore Hanoi a bit more; o/n train to Lao Cai (for Sapa)
    37,38) Explore Sapa (o/n train back to Hanoi)
    39) Fly from Hanoi to BKK; travel from BKK to Koh Tao
    40-41, 42) Explore Koh Tao (travel back to BKK on last day)
    43) Explore Bangkok
    44) Day trip to Ayutthaya
    45) Leave!

The biggest question marks are the travel days:

a) how long will the trip from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai take? How much is the Green Bus company?

b) what is the fastest/cheapest way to get from Vientiane to Pakse?

c) the Ubon to Bangkok train arrives at 5:50am, and Bangkok to Aranyaprathet train leaves at 5:55 am...will I make it?! (I am backtracking through Thailand to save time…not enough time to visit Tha Khaek, Savannakhet, 4K islands, and don’t want to loop from Phnom Penh to Siam Reap back to Phnom Penh)

d) where is the best place to do a trek? (was thinking chaing mai, but wont have enough time since I want to see the elephants)….how long do the treks take? (day trip, or over night?)
    e) any other comments welcome! E.g. spending too much or too little time in a certain place…

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 9/4/2008 - 21:07

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi relf,

That's a pretty ambitious schedule.

First a couple of logistical points.

1) Sukhothai isn't on the train line, the closest train station is Phitsanulok. So I'd suggest train from Bkk to Phitsanulok with a bus connection to Suk, then take the bus from there to Chiang Mai.

2) Day 29 - I assume you mean fly to Da Nang.

3) I'm not sure if one can get from Hanoi to Ko Tao in a day. You'd need to check the flight timetables for your airline.

General pointers
    While it's physically possible to do what you're suggesting, it's going to be a pretty hectic 45 days. The following jump out at me:

1) Pakse. I'd suggest skipping Pakse and instead leaving Laos at Vientiane, and getting the train from there to Nakhon Ratchasima then bus onwards to Aranyprathet, overnight there and then onto Siem Reap the next morning. That should save you a couple of days.

2) Perhaps go to Ayutthaya at the start of the trip (before Sukhothai) -- afterall it's on the same train line, and that saves you a diversion at the end of the trip.

3) Unless you're aching to see Hue I'd fly again from Da Nang to Hanoi -- primarily to save time. That should give you an extra day to pad out the trip somewhere.

Your questions:
    a) It's pretty much a full day of travel from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong for the border. Some choose to overnight in CK and cross in the morning, others to cross that evening and overnight in Huay Xai.

b) Fastest is to fly, cheapest is to bus it. It's a long way by bus if you're not breaking it up -- see my suggestion above about skipping it totally.

c) No. The trains are invariably a little late -- theoretically possible, but I'd be gobsmacked if you actually made that connection. See above my comment about exiting via Vientiane instead.

d) Here's a feature about trekking in Thailand -- the advice holds for the whole region. Sapa could be a good spot given your time constraints.

e) I think spending too much time anywhere is the least of your problems! You're packing a lot in but you're also getting to some great places... perhaps ask the boss for an extra week off work?!

Cheers

#2 Posted: 10/4/2008 - 06:04

• svichy

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2008
    Total reviews: 3

Hello,

- How do you plan to get to Koh Tao? If you take the train / bus it would take a long time each way. Alternatively, you could fly to Koh Samui and take the ferry. I added a return flight to Koh Samui to my flight from Australia for only $50 extra.

- I am planning a very similar trip myself, including the waterfall experience, but am thinking of travelling to Chiang Rai for a day or two instead of Chiang Mai. CR is closer to the Laos border and appears to be less touristy.

- You could also fly from Vientiane to Siem Reap. I used the Kayak website for flight information, and flights are reasonable at around USD140.

I guess it is all a matter of trade-offs between time and money when selecting the best mode of travel.

Good luck!

#3 Posted: 10/4/2008 - 11:56

• relf

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2008

thanks you two...

i was initially thinking of skipping Pakse, and now i think i will...i found train info from Nong Khai to Nakhon Ratchasima, but where can I find bus info from Nong Khai to Aranyprathet? (I just need to know that its frequent, and relatively cheap)

Regarding Koh Tao...I get into BKK at 11:05, and I was going to train to Chumphon, and then take an overnight ferry into Koh Tao...this should work, right?

lastly, what are the main "things to see and do" in PAKSE and HUE?

thanks again!

#4 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 18:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Asia Itinerary- Critique please! ... By sarandjer on 15 Dec 2009 1 1461 15 Dec 2009
Critique our itinerary: 26 days in SE Asia ... By pcharrig on 21 Feb 2011 4 3871 21 Aug 2012
Itinerary critique please! ... By Bradders on 1 Apr 2013 10 2042 15 Apr 2013
critique my itinerary ... By splashcayman on 12 May 2014 0 329 12 May 2014
critique my 3 week itinerary please ... By smash on 21 Jun 2009 14 3957 2 Jul 2009
Critique the Itinerary- do I have time to do more? ... By Sidiki on 7 Aug 2013 15 1267 9 Aug 2013
69 day trip - please critique my itinerary ... By daflj on 24 Sep 2008 7 2701 27 Oct 2008
Critique my Trip Itinerary ? ... By powahgen on 17 Aug 2011 5 2804 18 Aug 2011
3-month SEA itinerary - please critique ... By adaminasia on 7 Aug 2013 33 3596 12 Aug 2013
Critique my Thailand itinerary! ... By TorontoJay on 1 Aug 2013 5 1660 5 Aug 2013