Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary - 2 Months

• andysch

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2008

This is great website, I have found so much useful information here. I put together an itinerary from referencing other posts and some of the ones listed on this website. If anyone could give me some feedback on this it would be really great! I am really excited about my trip but am getting a bit stressed out planning my trip.

I am going to be traveling for two months and have visited Thailand before. I also made a quick yet action packed visit to Siem ReapAngkor Wat. So for this trip I would like to focus primarily on Cambodia, Laos and some of the highlights of Vietnam. I may come back and see more of Vietnam another time.

BKK->Ayuthaya (bus) I’d like to spend a few days in Ayuthaya, I know this may be more than necessary, but I just want time to really relax, get a few massages and get the city out of me, right now I am in a high stress job environment. - ->BKK

BKK-> Phnom Pehn (fly Air Asia) hang out for a few days -> speedboat to Phnom Da – is this town worth visiting? or I may skip it->Kep->Kampot-> Sihanoukville & islands. I would like to get my PADI certification on my trip; I did a Discover Dive in Ko Tao. I was thinking of doing it in Sihanoukville bc I don’t think I will have enough time to get to Thai islands. Is it okay to do here or should I make the extra time and do it elsewhere?

Sihanoukville ->Phnom Pehn ->Battambang->Siem Reap->Phnom Pehn->Komgpong Thom-> Kratie to Laos

On one of trip planners it suggested going from BKK to Ko Kong over land, how do I do this & where would I get my Visa for Cambodia if I do this? Also, can I get from Siem Reap to Kratie? I feel like I am making circles around PP & this could eat up my time.

In Laos, I will be traveling South to North, is it better to go from North to South instead? I may have to redo my itinerary and visit Laos first and then Cambodia.

Four Thousand Islands/ Si Phan Don->Champasak->Pakse-> Savannakhet->The Khaek->Vietiane->Vang Vieng ->Phonsavan & Plain of Jars—is the Plain of Jars worth seeing? ->Luang Prabang->Pakbeng->Huay Xai & The Gibbon Experience back to Vientiane, get visa for Vietnam.

Vientiane -> Hanoi->Ha Long Bay->Hoi An->Nhaa Trang-> Mui Ne-> Saigon ->back to BKK

Thanks for your assistance!

#1 Posted: 5/5/2008 - 10:18

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi andysch - glad you like the site!

Phnom Da -- now there's somewhere I can't ever remember being asked a questions about!

The base for Phnom Da is Takeo -- it's a straightforward place to reach from Phnom Penh by minibus or share taxi. The town itself, is pretty small -- but pretty. What makes it though is the boat trip out to Phnom Da. The boats are mostly little fibreglass runabouts and the day I went we had a smooth trip out, but on the way back, a squall came up and I was sure the boat was going to sink -- not that that meant the driver slowed down or anything... I remember at one stage trying to take a photo of the scene (the water is very shallow so with even a small breeze the waves get big fast) but I was almost thrown out of the boat -- I put the camera away after that!

The good thing about Phnom Da is the views from the summit across to Vietnam are terrific. If you go out there, be sure to swing by the museum as well.

Is the town worth visiting? Well you'll be pretty much guaranteed to be the only tourist in town, and it's sort of on the way to Kep, so if you've got the time -- why not?!

You can do a PADI cert in Sihanoukville -- here's the link to at least one provider (aff link), but there's plenty of others down there. If you were to venture to southern Vietnam, I've heard the diving is better on Phu Quoc Island than in Cambodia...

See this story for how to get from Ko Chang to Ko Kong (and onto Phu Quoc). You can get a Khmer visa on arrival at the Ko Kong crossing, but if you've got time I'd get it in Bangkok.

From Siem Reap to Kratie, you need to go at least to Skon in Kompong Cham prov, then you could hang out in Skon, eat a few tarantulas (Skon is famous for them - they go good with beer) then get share transport (or wait for a bus from Phnom Penh to show) to continue onto Kratie.

North to south or south to north only matters with regard to the boat trips -- it takes a little bit less time to go north to south as you're going with the current -- though I wouldn't build my trip around it.

In Laos, if you've the time Plain of Jars is worth seeing, but if you're planning on returning to Vientiane to fly to Hanoi, perhaps you could go up north via Muang Ngoi etc, west to Luang Nam Tha, then south to Gibbon X then huay Xai, then take the boat downriver via PakBeng to Luang Prabang... just a thought.

You can also fly from LP to Hanoi...

Hope some of the above helps...

happy planning!

#2 Posted: 5/5/2008 - 12:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.