Southeast Asia forum

immunisations

• thegingerbi-
    rd

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

Hi here is some immunisation info just because the cost of them added nearly £200 to the overall cost of my trip. Handing over cash to get stuck with needles brought a tear to this gingerbird’s eye!

Approximate prices and timescales – UK May 2008

Rabies

3 injections on day 0, 7 and 21
    Each injection costs the prescription charge (£21.30 in total)

Yellow Fever

1 injection
    Costs £40

Japanese encephalitis

3 injections on day 0, 7 and 21
    Each injection costs £42 (£126 in total)

Hep B

3 injections on day 0, at 1 month, at 6 months
    Free

Typhoid and Hep A combined

1 injection
    Free

Polio/tetanus booster
    1 injection
    Free

#1 Posted: 15/5/2008 - 22:56

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You've had the jabs now but the ones that were free would have been enough. Most travellers don't bother with Rabies or Japanese encephalitis although I suppose there's an outside chance you might get those. Can't understand why your doctor give you a yellow fever jab though...are you going to Africa too?

#2 Posted: 15/5/2008 - 23:19

• thegingerbi-
    rd

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

Hi to be honest i decided to go to SEA 4 weeks before my flight leaves so i was in a rush and just headed to the doctors and had what they told me to!!

After your post i wish i'd taken the time to research that bit myself as it would have saved me money and an arm that resembles a pin cushion.

#3 Posted: 15/5/2008 - 23:37

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sorry to hear about your arm! Never mind the yellow fever lasts 10 years so it might come in handy one day.

Take the vaccination certificates with you... they might save you a few $$ at a land border crossing. I got asked for a yellow fever certificate once at the Koh Kong land border in Cambodia... they aren't legally required unless you've been in a country where Yellow Fever is endemic but the border guard wanted 300B "tea money".

Just out of interest.... did those doctors advise you to take anti-malarials too?

#4 Posted: 16/5/2008 - 03:58

• packtoofull

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2007
    Location Indonesia

Thanks for the information on that.

I concur with SBE that Yellow Fever isn't needed for SE Asia, but as pointed out it does mean you can go to Africa next year without having to shell out another forty quid!

Rabies, remember the shot doesn't protect you totally -- you will still need treatment if you happen to get bitten by some nutty pooch frothing at the mouth.

Yellow Fever extortion at Ko Kong -- man those clowns will try anything.

Tks again for the info

#5 Posted: 16/5/2008 - 04:11

• thegingerbi-
    rd

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2008

The extra jab is a good excuse to explore Africa next. Well it would be rude not to!!!!

It turns out the doctor saw Yellow Fever in bold writing and didn't read the rest of the entry which says if you are coming from Africa! They did not mention anything about malaria tablets and after reading entries on various forums about the side effects i am leaving them well alone.

#6 Posted: 17/5/2008 - 00:51

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Good girl! ;-)

It's probably wise to use DEET repellents if only to avoid the annoying itchy bites. Usually that is the only consequence of getting bitten by mosquitoes but repellents are also the only prophylaxis against Dengue Fever which is MUCH more common than Malaria in SE Asia

#7 Posted: 17/5/2008 - 02:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.