Southeast Asia forum

My itinery! first time traveller...

• ee104

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2008

Hey guys!!
    Firstly i am loving the site, seems like the answer to most questions are here! However, as there are a few experts here i thought id stick my plan up and see if ther are any glaring errors...

starting in Nov
    Bankok - Chaing Mai --- whats the best way to do this part?
    chiang MAi - chiang khong
    mekong river - to Laos/Luang Prabang -- how easy is this part in terms of border crossing? cheap?
    FLY L.Prabang - Vientianne
    Vientianne - Ninh Binh along HCM trail -- not sure about this leg at all...is there any better way of getting to Hanoi from Vientianne? Maybe skip Vientianne and fly from Luang Prabang to Hanoi?
    Hanoi - maybe Halong bay? is it worth it?
    then overnight train to Hue
    Hue - Hoi An
    FLY Hoi An - Ho Chi Minh City -- is this possible?!
    Ho Chi Minh - sihanoukville - how should we do this leg?
    sihanoukville - Phnom Penh
    FLY Phnom Penh to Siem Reap - see Ankor wat
    Then back to Bangkok.

Luckily time is not a problem although id hope to do all this is 6 weeks?
    Have i missed out any gems? any activities i should try out?!

Any help or criticism welcome and i hope i didnt bore you all too much!!
    Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 25/5/2008 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It's like asking how long is a piece of string but I'll give some of that a go...

1. Depends if you want to go straight there or visit sites like Ayutthaya, Lopburi and Sukhothai en route. Bus or train if the latter, overnight train or cheap flight (Air Asia, Nokair, One-2-go) if the former.

2. Personally I'd prefer to fly from CM to LP and then go to Vientianne by road. It's more comfortable and the scenery is better IMO. However if you want to take the slow boat the border crossing is easy. Look and see if you can find the slow boat thread on this site...lots of feedback on the river boat trip to Luang Prabang.

3 Can't help with the Vietnam bit sorry!

4. Again, not too sure why you want to fly from Phom Pehn to Siem Reap ...it's only a few hours by road and the buses and roads aren't bad. En route quite a few interesting things to see (like fried spider snacks) ;-)The road from Siem Reap to the Thai border isn't as good so maybe consider flying back to Bangkok after Angkor Wat. It's a longer and less comfortable road trip than PP-SR and the border crossing at Poipet can be a bit trying.

Bangkok Air do a discovery airpass which might be useful for your kind of trip. This said, you see more travelling overland than from an aircraft window and it isn't the easy comfortable bits that will leave the most vivid memories once you get back home.

#2 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 02:21

• jugglingjim

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2008

hi does anyone know if you can go straight from siem reap to kratie and how long would it take, I'll be in cambodia from 23 july

#3 Posted: 26/5/2008 - 04:19

• ee104

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2008

Thanks for your help SBE!!
    I will take your advice regarding the SR/PP back to Bangkok and probably fly from Siem Reap.
    I think we may stick with the slow boat for the experience- hopefully it wont be too bad!! I agree with what you said at the end too!
    :)

#4 Posted: 27/5/2008 - 18:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
one month itinery help!! first time ... By millieharry on 17 Oct 2009 0 1638 17 Oct 2009