Southeast Asia forum
Need Some Help Making an Itinerary
4th June, 2008
Hi, this is my first time backpacking and I'm going to be spending roughly 8 weeks in SE Asia, first doing a group trip in Thailand with Intrepid (already booked), then hoping to cover Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam...
- Fly from Melbourne to Bangkok on the 24th of November
- Finish with Intrepid on the 7th of December
- Flying out from Saigon on the 16th of January
- Must visit Angkor & Luang Prabang
1) Meeting a friend in Hanoi for the trip south, so want to end up there with roughly 2 1/2 weeks to go, is this advisable?? if so, what are the best stops??
2) Bangkok > Siem Reap in one day of travel?
3) The best way to get from Phnom Penh to Hanoi via Laos, at first I was considering travelling by bus from Phnom Penh to Si Phon Don area over a few days, then onto Pakse before either roughing it on the 'masochistic' bus route to Vientiane or jumping on a plane if my budget allows, and then flying from Luang Prabang to Hanoi, does this sound OK? is this ridiculous?
As you can see I really don't have any clue...any advice at all is appreciated!
Below is a rough itinerary I scratched out from the Lonely Planet guides:
12/7/2008 Bangkok > Siem Reap
12/8/2008 Siem Reap
12/9/2008 Siem Reap
12/10/2008 Siem Reap
12/11/2008 Siem Reap > Phnom Penh
12/12/2008 Phnom Penh
12/13/2008 Phnom Penh
12/14/2008 Phnom Penh >Kompong Cham
12/15/2008 Kompong Cham > Kratie
12/16/2008 Kratie > Stung Tren
12/17/2008 Stung Tren > Si Phon Don
12/18/2008 SiPhon Don
12/19/2008 Si Phon Don > Pakse
12/20/2008 Pakse >Vientiane
12/23/2008 Vientiane > Vang Viene
12/24/2008 Vang Viene
12/25/2008 Vang Viene > Luang Prabang
12/26/2008 Luang Prabang
12/27/2008 Luang Prabang
12/28/2008 Luang Prabang > Hanoi
12/30/2008 Hanoi > Halong Bay
12/31/2008 Halong Bay
1/1/2009 Halong Bay > Hanoi
1/2/2009 Hanoi > Hue
1/4/2009 Hue > Da Nang
1/5/2009 Da Nang
1/6/2009 Da Nang > Nha Trang
1/7/2009 Nha Trang
1/8/2009 Nha Trang
1/9/2009 Nha Trang > Saigon
1/11/2009 Saigon >Saigon
1/12/2009 Mekong Area
1/13/2009 Mekong Area
1/16/2009 Saigon > Hong Kong
#1 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 01:02
21st January, 2004
Total reviews: 24
At least 113
Here's a few suggestions:
a) shave a day off Siem Reap and add it to Si Phan Don.
b) shave a day (or two) off Vientiane and break up the trip from Pakse. I'd suggest a stop at tha Khaek so you can see Kong Lo cave.
c) Drop a day from Da Nang and head to Hoi An, likewise grab a day from Nha Trang and give it to Hoi An
d) Saigon minus 1, Delta plus 1 -- I'd suggest Can Tho in the Delta as a good base.
1) You've got all the key Vn spots listed already except for Sapa
2) Yes can do. See this story on Bkk to SR overland.
3) Your plan looks ok for the overland bit.
#2 Posted: 5/6/2008 - 18:50
4th June, 2008
Thanks for your advice Somtam
a) the reason i had three full days in Siem Reap was to allow two full days at the temples and a day trip to Koh Ker which i'm very keen on, is one full day sightseeing enough?
b) that sounds like a really good idea, 1.5 days in Vientiane would be sufficient it seems
c) the vietnam schedule is really rough because my friend is coming too and isnt sure what he wants to do yet, so its still far from finalised. as for sapa, i'm already going to be doing trekking in thailand so thats why i left that bit out
but thanks again for your feedback, i'll definitely take it on board
#3 Posted: 6/6/2008 - 14:09
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.