Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Buying Fabric

Posted by karyn on 9/6/2008 at 09:17

I am interested in going to a location that sells beautiful fabric that I can bring home to work with. What country/city/area would be suggested to find this? I don't really want a store, but a market type of setting.

#1 karyn has been a member since 10/6/2006. Posts: 30

Posted by daawgon on 18/6/2008 at 01:14

Hoi An on the Central Vietnam coast might be what you're looking for. Custom made clothes are a big draw here, and fabric plentiful.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,091

Posted by karyn on 18/6/2008 at 02:12

Thanks!

#3 karyn has been a member since 10/6/2006. Posts: 30

Posted by Tilapia on 23/6/2008 at 19:54

If you're in Bangkok the Chatuchak Market has many fabric vendors. You need to know your stuff if you don't want to get the short end of the stick, though. Having said that, I have come across vendors who genuinely don't know what they are selling. So, if you know what is what, it can be an excellent spot to shop for fabrics in.

Also, there are many silk-producing towns and villages in the Northeastern area. Others produce loads of cotton.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,490
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.