Southeast Asia forum

recommended footwear

• ropren

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2008

Anyone out there have any good recommendations for what to bring in the arena of footwear. Im heading to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia for the first time and trying to pack as little as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or lessons learned as to what to bring and what not to bring? I know its a kindof open-ended question.

#1 Posted: 11/6/2008 - 11:55

• Advertisement

• dougumbarger

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2008

I am in Bangkok right now, in my room, watching the daily torrential downpour. I have traveled extensively in the tropics during rainy season, and the only footwear I bring are sport sandals: comfortable, happy in water, quick drying, easy to rinse mud off of- I-don't-care-if-they-get-wet shoes. I currently have Columbia Titanium Interchange sandals which I LOVE because I can flip up the heel strap to change them into slip-in flip-flops. Don't skimp cost-wise on your footwear!! DON"T bring boots, they are heavy (especially when wet), won't dry out for days and take up valuable space. You must take off your shoes to visit inside temples, so don't even worry about bringing closed-toe shoes unless you have business needs. I am traveling with two well-travelled girls and they confirm this. Hope this helps, and safe travels!

#2 Posted: 11/6/2008 - 15:22

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

I only ever take a pair of thongs (flip flops, jandals, pluggers). I wore them every where, sight seeing, wondering around the jungle to the beach.

I had a pretty pink pair on my last trip through Laos and Cambodia and in the last couple of days of my trip someone wondered off with them. I had march off to the local market in bare feet and by a horrid back pair with skulls on them, the pretty pink local ones didn't fit my HUGE western feet.

Lesson learnt i'm taking 2 pairs of thongs on my next trip.

#3 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 13:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

sandals or thongs

#4 Posted: 13/6/2008 - 19:11

• ChrisM48

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2006

I travelled last year for 10 weeks to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and wore Crocs with a back up pair of hiking sandals. Whilst it is a personal preference, I wore the sandals twice as I found that the Crocs were an all purpose shoe. When scrambling around Angkor and on various other trails (Erawan Falls) I simply clipped the back on for 4 WD traction!

The crocs are light and versatile. YOu could throw in a pair of thongs for emergency

#5 Posted: 15/6/2008 - 14:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.