Southeast Asia forum

16 days - itinerary help

• dseckel

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2008

We're a couple with 16 days in Thailand / Laos, end of August, beginning of Sept.

Plan is coming together, just seeking advice to fill in some holes.
    So far, we're considering:
    5 days Bangkok - 3 front end, 2 back end
    4 days Luang Prabang (with 1.5 day "Live like a Mahout" elephant experience thrown in
    4 days on a beach, likely Ko Samui

Will use discovery airpass for transit.

With 3 extra days to fill, what should we do?
    Kicking around:
    - day trips around Bangkok (Ayutthaya, etc)
    - night or two Kanchanaburi
    - 2 days Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)
    - Chiang Mai
    - Vang Vieng / Vientiane
    - extra beach time

Is 5-6 days in BKK too much?
    (note - my wife will just be arriving from Beijing, working a lot of hours with the Olympics, so perhaps looking not to run around too much, but also needs a certain amount of action)

#1 Posted: 17/7/2008 - 05:53

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

5-6 nights in Bangkok strikes me as a lot -- perhaps do a side trip to Ayutthata or Kanchanaburi to fill out one or two of the nights. Perhaps two nights in Bangkok to start, then a night or two in one of the above, with your final night back in Bangkok.

Siem Reap works well for a three-night visit -- especially if you don't mind flying in and out.

#2 Posted: 19/7/2008 - 08:21

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I vote for Chiang Mai, but I have to confess I have yet to go! I've booked 5 nights in Bangkok too (Baan Dinso Boutique Hostel), 3 nights Chiang Mai (Tri Gong Residence), then on to Hoi An, Vietnam and Hanoi for 2 more weeks. Vietnam is amazing - a return trip for me.

#3 Posted: 27/7/2008 - 01:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.