Southeast Asia forum

Lone female traveller - Dont know where to start!

• charliescot-
    t86

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2008

Firstly I just wanted to say how great this site is – but I think it may have overloaded me.

I am going to be travelling across SE Asia I don’t really want to plan more than my flights and stays in each country

For example

Cambodia 4 weeks
    Laos 4 weeks
    Thailand 4 weeks
    Vietnam 2 weeks

I would rather wander around but is there anything I should do in one country / place that I shouldn’t do in another ie: I don’t want to visit 40 buddah if there is just 2 great ones if that makes sense.

This will be my first time travelling and like I said I am female (aged 22) and planning to travel alone.

My estimated budget for the trip is £1500 approx (£15 ($30) per day) excluding flights, will this be enough / what will I get for this?

Any advice/tips would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 23/7/2008 - 03:44

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sounds like a decent plan though Vietnam is long and thin so you might need a bit more time there.

Your budget should be enough to get you a decent GH, food, the occasional excursion and transport if you don't move on every day and don't drink too much.

Things to do. Well just a few thoughts to start the ball rolling.

Cambodia... the temples in Angkor Wat are totally different from Buddhist ones elsewhere and the S21 war museum in PP is a must see IMO.

Laos. Luang Prabang of course. Then if you want to do jungle trek stuff it is (was?) a bit less heavily commercialized around there than Thailand's Chiang Mai for example.

Thailand. Best country of the four for beaches I think. Bangkok is manic and overwhelming at first but rarely boring .. a strange eclectic mix of old and new. And it's remarkably safe. Khao San Road is not *Thailand* BTW. ;-)

Vietnam...haven't been there yet! ;-)

#2 Posted: 23/7/2008 - 15:15

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

In my opinion, 4 weeks each in Cambodia and Laos is really too much time whereas 2 weeks in Vietnam is not nearly enough for this wonderful place!

#3 Posted: 24/7/2008 - 01:00

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Unless you're keen on getting very far off the beaten path or taking it very slowly, 4 weeks in Cambodia and Laos is quite a bit. I didn't enjoy Vietnam as much as Cambodia or Laos, but the other posters are correct that 2 weeks isn't enough time if you want to go the whole stretch from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. Bus travel in these 3 countries is very, very slow.

If you only want to hit the major temples try these:

Thailand: Ayuthaya or Sukhothai for the ruins (they're rather similar, Ayuthaya is much closer to Bangkok though), Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok, and Doi Suthep (temple on a mountain) in Chiang Mai

Cambodia: you can see the highlights of the Angkor Wat complex in one day, none of the temples I saw in Phnomh Penh were anything spectacular

Laos: the city temple in Vientiane is nice but can be skipped. The temples are one of the highlights of Luang Prabang and you'll see them just exploring the city.

I started traveling in SE Asia when I was 21 and never had any problems as a solo female traveler.

Enjoy Asia!

#4 Posted: 5/9/2008 - 23:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
lone female traveller -help! ... By mads535 on 17 Dec 2009 2 3642 21 Dec 2009
First time Lone Female mature traveller needs reassurance ... By julesloz on 7 Nov 2012 5 2810 8 Nov 2012
Accommodation for lone traveller in bangkok ... By HannahHarris on 28 Apr 2011 15 2578 1 May 2011
Lone Traveller+Accomodation Phnom Penh ... By seaeagle on 2 Oct 2008 6 2967 22 Oct 2008
First time traveller to Thailand needs an idea of a schedule?? any suggestions do's and dont's ... By Maggiemoo on 6 Mar 2010 3 1810 6 Mar 2010
Lone traveller arriving in Bangkok June 24th 2014 ... By NFT_Terrorist on 21 May 2014 5 961 22 Jun 2014
23years Female looking for travelmate cambodia/vietnam start in Bangkok ... By clementina on 10 Sep 2013 4 1884 22 Oct 2013
38 year old female wants to back pack Thailand in Mar 2013 but has no idea where to start ... By Sazzle74 on 13 Aug 2012 1 1617 15 Aug 2012
Irish 28yr old female travelling solo for 3-4 wks vietnam from start of march 2011 ... By roro28 on 26 Jan 2011 14 3330 4 May 2011
Female Single Traveller ... By twiggie_toni on 1 Sep 2010 4 3467 2 Sep 2010