Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

3 week itinerary, your critique welcome!

Posted by iciclesecret on 23/7/2008 at 16:29

Your recommendations are much appreciated! We're not huge city fans (didn't enjoy Bangkok), more into beautiful scenery and geography. Do you think we should try and get Pakse/4000 islands in there and drop something else?

Let me know your thoughts!
thanks loads

28th Dec flight into HCMC, connecting flight to Vietiene
29th Dec – Vietiene
30th Dec – Vietiene-Vang Vieng
31st Dec – Vang Vieng
1st Jan – Vang Vieng
2nd Jan – Vang Vieng
3rd Jan – Vang Vieng-Luang Prabang
4th Jan – Luang Prabang
5th Jan – Luang Prabang
6th Jan – Luang Prabang-Hanoi
7th Jan – Hanoi/Halong Bay
8th Jan – Hanoi/Halong Bay
9th Jan – Hanoi/Halong Bay
10th Jan – Siam Reap
11th Jan – Siam Reap
12th Jan – Sihanoukville
13th Jan – Sihanoukville
14th Jan – Sihanoukville
15th Jan – HCMC
16th Jan – HCMC
17th Jan – HCMC Flight home

#1 iciclesecret has been a member since 17/7/2008. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/7/2008 at 17:08 admin

I'd say 4000 islands is a far more interesting destination than say Sihanoukville -- but it depends on your interests I guess. For you to add in the islands you'd need a pretty substantial rearrangement of your itinerary unless you're happy doing a long backtrack to and from Vientiane. Looks like you're flying quite a few legs?

Also I'd lean towards a day less in Vang Vieng and a day more in either Hanoi or Luang Prabang.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,507
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by iciclesecret on 23/7/2008 at 20:48

Cool, good to know - thanks loads

#3 iciclesecret has been a member since 17/7/2008. Posts: 16

Posted by iciclesecret on 23/7/2008 at 20:48

Cool, good to know - thanks loads

#4 iciclesecret has been a member since 17/7/2008. Posts: 16

Posted by iciclesecret on 23/7/2008 at 20:51

Sorry, I just posted twice. Yes were were planning on flying. Maybe I should not fly the HCMC to Vietiene and do 4000 islands on the way instead of Sihanoukville on the way back.

Do you think 4000 islands would be a good place to spend new year? I'm guessing no one celebrates it in the region? but it's the same date as my partners birthday!

#5 iciclesecret has been a member since 17/7/2008. Posts: 16

Posted by saigondave on 24/7/2008 at 14:30

Posted from within Vietnam.

Couple of suggestions:
Flying from HCMC routes through Phnom Penh anyway, so why not do Siem Reap and or Sihanoukville on the way?

One less day in Vang Vieng, unless you prefer to hang out with backpackers rather than meeting/interacting with locals. Loatians are real nice, very mellow.

Hanoi, three days/two nights is plenty in the city. Jan is cold, down to 7-9 at night.

Halong Bay, take an Emeraudes overnight cruise (about US$80) and avoid staying in the town as the food is awful and at the w/e there are squillions of local tourists from surounding provinces.

Expats celebrate New Years everywhere, even if the locals don't, but anyway the Loatians love a party and get stuck in with or without any real reason. Vientiane has a few good watering holes.

Suggest you return to Hanoi to fly to Da Nang or Nha Trang on the central coast to enjoy their beaches. If time allows drive from Nha Trang to Mui Nhe, staying at the Sailing Club, before driving (3-4 hours)to HCMC to catch your flight out.

I also think you're flying too much.

just some ideas for you.
cheers
Dave

#6 saigondave has been a member since 24/7/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by iciclesecret on 25/7/2008 at 21:43

Thanks so much Dave. Would you suggest more like the following:

28th Dec flight into HCMC, connecting flight to Siam Reap
29th Dec – Siam Reap
30th Dec – Siam Reap
31st Dec – Siam Reap - Vang Vieng
1st Jan – Vang Vieng
2nd Jan – Vang Vieng
3rd Jan – Vang Vieng
4th Jan – Luang Prabang
5th Jan – Luang Prabang
6th Jan - Luang Prabang
6th Jan –
7th Jan –
8th Jan – Luang Prabang-Hanoi
9th Jan – Hanoi/Halong Bay (Emeraudes overnight cruise)
10th Jan – Hanoi/Halong Bay (Emeraudes overnight cruise)
11th Jan – Hanoi-Nha Trang
12th Jan – Nha Trang
13th Jan – Nha Trang
14th Jan – Nha Trang
15th Jan – Mui Nhe
16th Jan – Mui Nhe
17th Jan – HCMC Flight home

I've got a couple of days there in the middle to play with - but do you think this looks better? Not hugely fussed about Sihanokville, Nha Trang sounds better! Do I need to try and get 4000 islands in?
Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

#7 iciclesecret has been a member since 17/7/2008. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.