Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Panicing we dont have enough time!

Posted by malibu828 on 29/7/2008 at 20:20

Hi Everyone, i am really sorry to bore you with yet another itinery message but from what ive been reading on other i may have been a bit greedy in the time i have.
We have 13 and half weeks to get from Bangkok to northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand and islands, Malaysia and catch next flight to Singapore.
Is this ridiculous, i did want to do it all overland at not a very rushed pace but thinking some flights will be needed? (on a tight budget) Which bits do you think i should cut out? Was planning on just doing the usual big loop journey, is this best?
Can you tell im a newbie at this? lol! Any help will be much appreciated! Im getting in such a flap! Lx

#1 malibu828 has been a member since 25/3/2008. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/7/2008 at 09:07 admin

Three months is a pretty good spread of time to cover the region you're talking about -- many try to do it in half the time.

A good place to start is the suggested itinerary section which plots out some suggested routes.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Tilapia on 31/7/2008 at 23:41

Wow ... I'd say that you have loads of time. That's plenty of time to do a great loop without taking any flights at all.

One flight that I do think is worth taking, though, if it fits with the program, is Siem Reap to Bangkok. That is, if Angkor is your last stop in Cambodia and you're heading back to Thailand. It may run you about a couple hundred dollars, but it will save you about 1 1/2 days of hot, dull, overland tripping.

If you're going back to Thailand, but haven't been to PP yet, then it's worth it to work your way south to PP and then Sihanoukville and then go back to Thailand by ferry. Very nice.

Don't panic. You're in good shape w.r.t. time.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,490
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.