Southeast Asia forum

To include Vietnam or not to include?

• vickstar

Joined Travelfish
    16th August, 2008

Hi,

I am a 26yo female planning to travel throughout SEA in Nov & Dec 08. I have about 5 weeks free to travel independently and am very keen to travel through Cambodia and Southern Laos during that time. The question is whether I should squeeze in 10 or so days in Vietnam and shorten my time in Cambodia and Laos?

I travelled through northern Laos in Jan 08 and fell in love with the place. I definately prefer less touristy,less developed, more authetic, chilled out destinations (like Laos!)I've heard the vietnamese can be a little agressive. Is Vietnam worth squeezing in? And what destinations in Vietnam do you recommend that aren't so touristy? South or North? So many questions!

Otherwise I was thinking about possibly making it to Luang Nam Tha in Northern Laos (I missed this area in my previous travels)

Your opinion and previous travel experiences are very much appreciated (Can you tell I am a first time blogger)

#1 Posted: 16/8/2008 - 13:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi vickstar,

If you're already planning Cambodia and southern Laos, then southern Vietnam fits well with your plan. With just ten days you could see Saigon, some of the Mekong Delta and a great island.

There's a good loop where you can go from Phnom Penh to Saigon by bus, hang out there for a few nights, then on into the Delta -- say My Tho and Can Tho for example, then onto Rach Gia and get the boat out to Phu Quoc Island -- which will be glorious in Nov/Dec. Then return to the mainland, overland to the new coastal border crossing and re-enter Cambodia at Kep. With two weeks you could do that comfortably...

Hope that helps - more questions - ask away

#2 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 19:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 weeks in Vietnam. Is it too much to include 5 cities, or too little? Please critique ... By sunbell79 on 8 Mar 2012 13 3888 9 Jun 2012
Thailand in April - should we include the north? ... By vermishel on 1 Feb 2014 12 779 4 Feb 2014
1 month Thailand - include side trip? Laos or Cambodia? ... By noakess on 15 Oct 2010 10 3318 21 Oct 2010