Southeast Asia forum

Travelling Solo

• vinu1982

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2008

Hi

I plan to travel solo to SE Asia for 3 months in October 08. Will fly into Bangkok and stay for a night or two before flying out to Hanoi for a month or so in Vietnam, 3 weeks in Laos and Cambodia with the remaining 5 weeks in Thailand.

As I've never done this sort of trip before what are your thoughts on travelling alone? Where is the best place to meet fellow lone/group travellers? Any drawbacks on travelling alone?

Any help would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 17/8/2008 - 17:52

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You'll meet lots of other solo travellers -- there's no shortage of them, and chances are you'll meet up and not be travelling alone for long.

Only drawback I can think of off the top of my head is not having someone to watch your bags if you need to leave them in a public place.

#2 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 12:41

• jimsparadise

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2006

Traveling in SE Asia basically follows a certain path from location to location. So, you'll meet people along the way and travel with them or meet up again many times in a given trip--get email addresses or make up cards with yours in BKK and keep in touch of where everyone is--so can rejoin them. One suggestion, 5 weeks at end of your trip in Thailand is over the 30 day allowable time per free visa. I always try to schedule my Thailand time in 28-30 day intervals to keep Visa process free and simple. If haven't booked flights yet, spend some time in Thailand before Hanoi. All these countries are fantastic--I've done the travel alone thing 3 times now for about the same duration--only suggestion is be aware of the locals late at night--especially if getting drunk at all. Same as any country--a fool and his money are soon parted--or his bags. Good luck--have fun---Jim

#3 Posted: 18/8/2008 - 19:45

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Even if you don't follow the well-trodden paths, you'll still meet people almost everywhere you go.

Thoughts on traveling alone?

- No compromising! You do what you want, when you want, how you want and, if applicable, with whoever you want.
    - Your time and space are your own.
    - It's easier to be spontaneous (I guess this sort of goes hand-in-hand with the above, but I think it deserves special mention because, for me, it is the best thing about traveling alone.)
    - It is easier to meet other people.

Best place to meet other travelers? I'd say in the common areas of guest houses, bungalow resorts, etc., as well as on buses and trains.

Drawbacks? Besides those mentioned above ...

- Forgive me for sounding sappy, but sometimes it's nice to share those rare "OH MY GOD!!!!" moments with someone else.

That's all I can think of.

I think that it is the best way to travel, unless you are fully and completely in sync with the person you're with. I treat each trip like my trip of a lifetime, or like I may never take another, and I always want it to be MY trip.

Call me selfish ...

#4 Posted: 19/8/2008 - 01:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.