Southeast Asia forum

my planned itinerary for july 2006... opinions (and costs!)

• bonbongirl

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

so, i shall be leaving indonesia in a weeks time and start my month around south east asia. my trip as i've planned it so far goes like this...

siem reap - 4 days
    phnom penh - 4 days (will get my lao visa as well)
    kampot - 1 day (day trip to bokor)
    kep - 1 day
    sihanoukville - 4 days
    kratie - 1 day (just a stopover on the way to laos)
    4,000 islands - 5 days
    champasak - 2 days (leaving on the second day for ->)
    tad lo - 1 day
    pakse - 1 1/2 days
    ko samet - 3 days
    bangkok - 1 day at wonderful reflections rooms (i recommend it if you ever feel like splashing out in bangkok, it's so nice)
    HOME!

how does it sound? too many places? too few places? somewhere amazing i'm missing out on?

also, how much do you think i will spend? i thought somewhere around 1,000 US$, do you think that's enough? i counted 20 US$ a day plus various extras.

money is not too much of an issue but since there aren't any ATMs in most of cambodia and in laos, i want to be sure i have enough.

thanks!

(and i can't wait to go, mnmmh)

#1 Posted: 23/6/2006 - 15:26

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi bonbongirl,

You been having fun in Indo? We live in Jakarta and it is slowly growing on us... let's just say there isn't going to be Travelfish for Indo shortly!

Your trip plan looks good -- I'd make the following minor suggestions -- just doing an overnighter in Kampot for the trip up to Bokor is a bit tight -- particularly as you're allowing four days in Sihanoukville -- I'd shave a day off there and spend an extra one in Kampot, or Kep (in which case you can head out to Ko Tonsay).

The only other suggestion is perhaps to do two nights at Tad Lo and one at Champassak -- there's a bit more "to do" in Tad Lo.

Otherwise looks great!

There are ATMs now in Phnom Penh, so you'll be able to cash up there -- and $20 a day should be more than adequate...

If you're after a special splurge, check out Salaphae on Don Khon (in four thousand islands) -- it is awesome.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 23/6/2006 - 16:25

• bonbongirl

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2006
    Total reviews: 5

well, i have just spent seven months in aceh (with the occasional trip to thailand, malaysia and laos) and let's say... it's definitely not my favourite place in south east asia! i like the buddhist countries so much more. to be honest though, i've only seen aceh - i was planning on going to see yogyakarta and borobodur, but it really doesn't seem like a good idea... :( i loved lake toba though...!

suggestions sound good - i wasn't sure about champasak either, i might skip it altogether... also the plan is pretty flexible, so i'll see as i go along, but i wanted to have a general idea.

i've heard good things about kep from a friend who lived in cambodia for a while, so i'll definitely go there and spend one extra day in kampot then (very excited about bokor!)... plus i HAVE TO stay at vanna bungalows in kep since that's my mum's name. errr. :)

was thinking about spending maybe 1 day in don khong, is it even worth it? i might stop on don khon instead... and i guess i can splurge one night... eheheh. will definitely follow up on that suggestion!!!

#3 Posted: 23/6/2006 - 17:37

• marklatham

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

I have just done cambodia clockwise.
    I flew bangkok to siem reap and spent three nights-incredible temples and great little town.
    Flew to pnom penh for three nights-enough.
    Bus to kampot,three nights-very nice place,but bokor is a gruelling day long trip-but fantastic.
    Easy three hour ride to snookyville for four nights-what a great spot!
    Cambodia is unique with the most beautiful people-stya as long as possible.
    I think that it is the coolest place in the world.

#4 Posted: 25/6/2006 - 17:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Any Comments on Planned Itinerary? ... By RichMelZA on 21 Oct 2009 3 2542 27 Oct 2009
Have I planned too much? Itinerary review.. ... By nish on 6 Sep 2011 10 2688 5 Oct 2011
Bangkok - June and July 2006 ... By exacto on 16 Aug 2006 4 4150 8 Aug 2007
Vang Vieng, Vientiane and Nong Khai - July 2006 Trip Report ... By exacto on 8 Sep 2006 4 4950 23 Nov 2006
Our 9 week itinerary, Are we trying to do too much? all opinions welcome! ... By Tomhamish on 20 Apr 2011 1 2423 20 Apr 2011
Itinerary opinions - 6 weeks in Thailand ... By rooflee on 5 Sep 2010 2 2428 7 Sep 2010