Southeast Asia forum

15 weeks in SE Asia... Intinery for first major trip!!

• MarkHall

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2008

Me and my girlfriend are flying to Battambang on 15th November this year and would be grateful of andy advice and ideas towards our itinery and general plan! It's our first big trip so all help would be gratefuly welcomed.

Our itineriey is based around the one given on trvel fish with the idea of possibly finishing in Hanoi and catching a flight back to Battambang (or even Phuket is possible) to carry on our trip through south thialand, malaysia and Singapore.

So our basic intinery is as follows;

1) North Thialand - From Battambang head north towards Chiang Mai via Ayutthaya and Sukhothia. Using Chaing Mai as a base for treking and exploring the province. (Approx 2 wks)

2)Northern Laos - Cross from Chiang Khong to Huary Xai and travel to Luang Prabang for a week before moving on to Vientiane via Vang Vieng. (Approx 2 Wks)

3) Southern Laos - We have around a week to travel south through Laos to Cambodia (any recomendations or info would be good here, also on best way to enter Cambodia??)

4) Cambodia - Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Battambang (Approx 3 wks)

5)Vietnam - Phnom Penh to Siagon. Know very little about Vietnam but would like to go from HCMC up to Hanoi and then possibly fly back to Battambang to spend 2 weeks in Southern Thialand, two weeks in Malaysia and a week in Singapore.

Any feedback would be fantastic especialy regarding...

a) Is one week enough time to explore the south of Loas? Would it be better to shave some time off another area of the trip?

b) Is it a good idea to cover both North/South Vietnam in 3 weeks?

3) Any potential problems with visas/ border crossings.

4) Flying from Hanoi to Battambang or Phuket.

Cheers.

Mark.

#1 Posted: 15/9/2008 - 21:41

• Advertisement

• MarkHall

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2008

For Some reason it has changed Bangkok to Battambang, i'm not sure why!?

#2 Posted: 15/9/2008 - 21:45

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Mark,

Can't help you with S. Laos as I haven't been there yet, but I'm going in about 2 months.

Regarding Thailand ... Bangkok to CM is a very well-worn route, but Ayuthaya and Sukhothai are both worth seeing, especially if you're into temples and history.

Regarding Ayuthaya ... you can check out Ayuthaya without staying there. It's less than an hour from Bangkok and makes a good day trip. It's also okay to stay there for a night or two if you want to get out of the big city and get into a "less big" city. It's on the main train line.

If you're taking the train, you will have to get off in Phitsanulok to get to Sukhothai . If you're going to be there for a couple of days, I do recommend that you check out Si Satchanalai, about 1 hour north. It's fantastic, and easily reached by motorbike. It makes a great day trip, as well.

Also, you may want to consider taking an alternate route to CM. Two weeks is a long time in and around CM. There are much nicer, quieter places, and far better places for trekking (Nan, for one.) From Sukhothai you could go to Tak , about one hour west, and from Tak go by bus to Mae Hong Son, then Pai, then CM. Check it out on a map and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'd skip Phuket and go somewhere else along the coast.

You've got about 8 or 10 weeks?

#3 Posted: 16/9/2008 - 02:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SE Asia trip for 4 weeks... help please! ... By jijerton on 16 Jul 2012 5 2508 17 Jul 2012
SE Asia trip from USA (8 weeks) ... By azizi on 15 Nov 2010 2 2398 3 Dec 2010
6 weeks volunteer trip in SE Asia? ... By TraveltoTeach on 11 Dec 2012 0 1538 11 Dec 2012
6 weeks SE asia - review trip itinerary please :o) ... By leones707 on 11 May 2010 0 2213 11 May 2010
7 weeks in SE Asia trip plan, would you change sth? ... By AlexBCN on 22 Mar 2010 6 3040 15 Apr 2010
3 weeks SE Asia Trip in August 2013: Advice, Help! ... By libbyeab on 6 Feb 2013 1 2091 8 Feb 2013