Southeast Asia forum

Which country is cheper for tech? Where can I buy a notebook?

• alemauro

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2008

Hi Folks!

I am enjoying this forum since I found it...

I am planning to travel from Buenos Aires to Kuala Lumpur, and then visit Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, for about 40 days. I am planning to buy a digital camera and a notebook there... I suppose that tech will be cheaper than Argentina and US... but I donĀ“t know that.... where should I buy tech in SE ASIA?. Is there a market where I should go in Thai or Vietnam? Is Bangkok cheaper than Hanoi?...

So many questions... please help!!

Jano

#1 Posted: 21/9/2008 - 22:38

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

You can find some cheap notebooks at electronics markets in Thailand but they tend to be older models and you will likely not get a warranty.

The best place to buy a notebook in Thailand is from one of the Hypermarts like Tesco-Lotus. Quality is higher and you get an international manufacturer's warranty.

I usually buy electronics in Kuala Lumpur. There's a Dell shop at the Mid Valley Mega Mall and the technology mall downtown on Bukit Bintang road. I find it's cheaper than Thailand and you get newer products.

#2 Posted: 21/9/2008 - 23:04

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I don't know about Argentina but you can buy from the US then I'm pretty sure that (new) notebooks and digital cameras are cheaper there than in Thailand.

#3 Posted: 21/9/2008 - 23:55

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Yeah - if you can do your shopping in the US/Canada brand name stuff is much cheaper than in Asia.

I.e. I live in Singapore and picked out the new mini notebook that I want here - it's $900 Sing dollars which is about $650 Canadian. I went home to Canada in August to visit and picked the exact same one up at a big box electronics store for $400 :o

#4 Posted: 22/9/2008 - 00:02

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

You could check out PANTHIP PLAZA in Bangkok. Floors of electronics, I Bought a laptop from there once (and alot of dvd's) aswell as a electronic dictionary. Also, my sister in-law got her computer and electronic dictionary from there aswell.

Worth checking out in BKK.

#5 Posted: 7/10/2008 - 18:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.