Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Which country is cheper for tech? Where can I buy a notebook?

Posted by alemauro on 21/9/2008 at 22:38

Hi Folks!

I am enjoying this forum since I found it...

I am planning to travel from Buenos Aires to Kuala Lumpur, and then visit Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, for about 40 days. I am planning to buy a digital camera and a notebook there... I suppose that tech will be cheaper than Argentina and US... but I donĀ“t know that.... where should I buy tech in SE ASIA?. Is there a market where I should go in Thai or Vietnam? Is Bangkok cheaper than Hanoi?...

So many questions... please help!!

Jano

#1 alemauro has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by idreamofdurian on 21/9/2008 at 23:04 TF writer

You can find some cheap notebooks at electronics markets in Thailand but they tend to be older models and you will likely not get a warranty.

The best place to buy a notebook in Thailand is from one of the Hypermarts like Tesco-Lotus. Quality is higher and you get an international manufacturer's warranty.

I usually buy electronics in Kuala Lumpur. There's a Dell shop at the Mid Valley Mega Mall and the technology mall downtown on Bukit Bintang road. I find it's cheaper than Thailand and you get newer products.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by SBE on 21/9/2008 at 23:55

I don't know about Argentina but you can buy from the US then I'm pretty sure that (new) notebooks and digital cameras are cheaper there than in Thailand.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,004
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 22/9/2008 at 00:02 TF writer

Yeah - if you can do your shopping in the US/Canada brand name stuff is much cheaper than in Asia.

I.e. I live in Singapore and picked out the new mini notebook that I want here - it's $900 Sing dollars which is about $650 Canadian. I went home to Canada in August to visit and picked the exact same one up at a big box electronics store for $400 :o

#4 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 7/10/2008 at 18:45

You could check out PANTHIP PLAZA in Bangkok. Floors of electronics, I Bought a laptop from there once (and alot of dvd's) aswell as a electronic dictionary. Also, my sister in-law got her computer and electronic dictionary from there aswell.

Worth checking out in BKK.

#5 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.