Southeast Asia forum

69 day trip - please critique my itinerary

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008
    Total reviews: 4

Dear all,
    thanks for all the useful feedback I've received so far. I've now planned the trip and would welcome feedback on the itinerary. I will be arriving in Bangkok in early March and leaving Vietnam mid May.

Anyway here's the itinerary:
    Bangkok 3 nights
    Ko Mak 5 nights
    Bangkok 1 night
    Kanchanburi 3 nights
    Bangkok 1 night
    Ayutthaya 3 nights
    Bangkok 1 night
    Fly to Siem Raep
    Siem Raep 5 nights
    Fly back to Bangkok, then connect to Luang Prabang if possible - if not further night in Bangkok
    Luang Prabang 5 nights
    Vang Veng 3 nights
    Vientiane 4 nights
    Savvanakhet 2 nights
    Hue 4 nights
    Hoi An 4 nights
    Nha Trang 2 nights
    Mui Ne 4 nights
    Saigon 1 night
    Fly to Phu Quoc
    Phu Quoc 5 nights
    Travel back through Delta 5 nights
    Saigon 3 nights

Fly out

This gives me a few days spare to play with as well.

What do people think??

Cheers
    D

#1 Posted: 24/9/2008 - 21:42

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That looks good to me -- only point would be three nights in Ayutthaya is a lot -- perhaps shave it back to one -- or two -- and add a day for Ko Maak or Saigon.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2008 - 07:39

• silverwool

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2007

Four nights in Vientiane seems a lot. You should be able to fly from Siem Reap direct to Luang Prabang. (I've done the reverse but I think the flight is only some days of the week) Also it may be worth going directly from Kanchanburi to Ayutthaya instead of back to Bangkok first.

Why not look into a couple of days at Phnom Penh while you are in Cambodia?

How are you planning to get from Savvanakhet in Laos to Hue?

Finally Hanoi is also well worth a visit.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2008 - 17:05

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008

Thanks Somtam and Silverwool,
    the issue with flying direct from SR to LP is that Vietnam Air is not part of the Discovery Airpass so the cost of the flights is really expensive compared with the cost of going back to Bangkok and out again.

I will take the advice re: the number of nights in Ayutthaya . I would definitely think about going direct between Kanchanburi and Ayutthaya Silverwool - do you have any advice on doing this?

I believe that there are buses that run the Savvanakhet-Lao Bao-Hue run, but again any advice on this specifically would be welcome.

#4 Posted: 29/9/2008 - 14:36

• TheSnowQueen

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2006

I agree with paring back Ayutthaya - a fantastic place to walk around, but not 3 nights' worth. Also Savvanakhet is a bit of a dusty pass-through place. I did Hoi An (up from Hue) to Savvanakhet by bus - a long and challenging journey with an overnight stop, but possible. Hanoi is definitely worth seeing.

#5 Posted: 23/10/2008 - 03:31

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008

Thanks SnowQueen
    I'll certainly pare back the Ayutthaya stop - perhaps if I travel there on an early train one morning, and back on a late-ish train the next day that will give me sufficient time there.

#6 Posted: 23/10/2008 - 14:58

• daflj

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2008

Thanks SnowQueen
    I'll certainly pare back the Ayutthaya stop - perhaps if I travel there on an early train one morning, and back on a late-ish train the next day that will give me sufficient time there.

#7 Posted: 23/10/2008 - 14:59

• buzby

Joined Travelfish
    27th October, 2008

There are public buses between Kanchanaburi & Ayutthaya. Takes about 3 hours. Ask at your guesthouse for details.

I agree that Hanoi is well worth a visit and then you can also visit Halong Bay.

It is possible to go direct from Vientiene to the Cau Treo border crossing then onto Vinh in Vietnam. This would prevent a lot of doubling back on yourself if you wanted to go to Hanoi .

Alternatively, there are overnight sleeping buses or the train from Hue to Hanoi .

I can also highly recommend Ninh Binh (2 hours south of Hanoi ) for a simply stunning slice of rural Vietnam. Its on the main highway and the buses/trains pass through here.

Have a great trip :)

#8 Posted: 27/10/2008 - 17:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Critique my Trip Itinerary ? ... By powahgen on 17 Aug 2011 5 2804 18 Aug 2011
critique my itinerary ... By splashcayman on 12 May 2014 0 329 12 May 2014
Itinerary critique please! ... By Bradders on 1 Apr 2013 10 2045 15 Apr 2013
Critique my Thailand itinerary! ... By TorontoJay on 1 Aug 2013 5 1664 5 Aug 2013
October in SEA / 26 Day Itinerary Critique Please ... By SupremoSkelator on 5 Sep 2012 2 1467 6 Sep 2012
3 week itinerary, your critique welcome! ... By iciclesecret on 23 Jul 2008 6 3868 25 Jul 2008
One month Itinerary - please critique! ... By mikefly on 19 May 2013 24 2087 25 May 2013
critique my 3 week itinerary please ... By smash on 21 Jun 2009 14 3961 2 Jul 2009
Asia Itinerary- Critique please! ... By sarandjer on 15 Dec 2009 1 1461 15 Dec 2009
Critique the Itinerary- do I have time to do more? ... By Sidiki on 7 Aug 2013 15 1268 9 Aug 2013