Southeast Asia forum

42ish Days in Indochina / Thailand

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

Hey me and my boyfriend are spending roughly 6weeks in Southeast Asia in the spring, ending with the full moon party in Koh Phagnan. Some critiques on the itinerary would be great, as we are still unsure as of yet the best way to get from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai, and we are looking at options other than flying but its not really out of the question.
    We are taking trains when possible and busses wherever else, and any other tips would be great.

Bangkok - Siem Reap - Phnom Penh - Ho Chi Minh City - Nha Trang - Hue(maybe) - Hanoi / Halong Bay - Vientiane - Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang - Chiang Mai - Bangkok (just to transfer trains, maybe overnight) - Krabi / Trang - Surat Thani (just to catch a ferry) - Koh Phangan - back to Bangkok to fly home.

Thanks in advance =)

#1 Posted: 2/10/2008 - 13:56

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I think its too much in too little time. You will be rushed and you will waste a lot of money on traveling costs and unused visa time.

Why not save two of the countries for another trip(unless you can afford to fly around...) Vietnam, for example is a very long country. In my opinion you will be spending too much time in the busses!

#2 Posted: 3/10/2008 - 14:44

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Most interesting way to get from LP to Chaing Mai is to take the slow boat from LP to Huay Xai, cross into Chiang Kong, take the bus to Chiangrai, and then continue on to Chaingmai.

I also think that this looks like an awful lot of ground to cover in 6 weeks. But, if you're up for it, no doubt you'll manage.

Recommend that you check out the weather situation for each place you plan on going to. Weather (extreme heat and monsoons) might be an issue depending on when you go.

#3 Posted: 3/10/2008 - 20:36

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

We re-assessed our finances. We can afford a discount local carrier (Air Asia?) from HCMC - Hanoi , Hanoi - Vientiane and LP - Chiang Mai.
    Does the 6week timespan sound a little more reasonable now? haha

#4 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 02:45

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

Sorry, as well we are skipping most of Vietnam if you didn't catch that. Just HCMC, Hanoi and Halong Bay, which we don;t mind too much. More time in Laos ;-)

#5 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 02:46

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Air Asia is the cheapest in the area...I wouldn't book now though, wait until you are down there. Plans might change and they don't offer refunds or changes. Just book whatever flight you need two days before or so.

I was only concerned before because I thought you were doing it all by bus. You are covering a lot of ground which would mean a lot of time in busses. However, if you can afford to fly then you are fine. Look into the Discovery Pass (I dont know much about it but it might help you).

#6 Posted: 5/10/2008 - 14:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

So happens that I booked an Air Asia flight earlier today and have the terms and conditions in front of me (I printed them out by mistake as well as the itinerary).

You CAN change flights up to 48 hours prior to departure. There's a fee though and you have to pay any difference in seat price if your new seat is more expensive (no refund if it's cheaper though.

You can also change the passenger name up to six hours prior to a flight if you pay the charges for doing it (ie you could sell your unwanted ticket to someone else if you do it more than six hours before the flight)

Flights on Air Asia are almost always much more expensive booked at the last minute than they are when booked a few weeks in advance. So if you do know when you're flying book as early as possible.

Watch out for special offers too ... there are often special promotions and occasionally they even have "free flights just pay taxes" deals.

#7 Posted: 6/10/2008 - 01:16

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

OK flights are booked. Flying in and out of Bangkok arriving 11PM April30 and departing 130AM June10. So 40 days in the region. (when i say days i mean full days)
    We are doing
    ~4 or 5 days in Bangkok incl. a side trip to Ayuthaya included.
    Train to Aranyaprathet, bus to Siem Reap,
    2days in Siem Reap,
    2days in Phnom Penh,
    2/3 days in HCMC
    Fly to Hanoi
    2 days in Hanoi, overnight in Halong bay
    Fly to Luang Prabang
    2 days in Luang Prabang
    2 days in Vang Vieng
    1 day (plus remaining travel days) in Vientiane
    1 day in Bangkok after overnight train
    overnight to Krabi
    3/4 days around Krabi and Ko Phi Phi, etc
    3 days in Koh Phangan (incl Full Moon Party), than returning to Bangkok

Any advice on more/less time to spend on places would be great-- im essentially borrowing my friends itinerary from a trip she took last summer for 6weeks around the same time, or any critiques again. Thanks!!

#8 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 11:02

• TheBronze

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2008

Sorry again, but also advice on sidetrips not too far out. This isnt concrete, but we realize we should have a loose itinerary as to not completely get distracted as the plan is to try to see lots.

#9 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 11:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
THIRTY DAYS: INDOCHINA ... By steviej on 17 Apr 2006 2 1477 18 Apr 2006