Southeast Asia forum

Fishing in SE Asia

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello,

I will be returning to SE Asia in Jan. and Feb. for the third time.

I am interested in fishing. I saw that in southern Cambodia and around the Thai islands that you can arrange for chartered fishing trips. Has anyone done this? I am interested in your trip...how much it costed and what you caught. Also photos if possible.

My other question is about the freshwater fishing in SE Asia. Has anyone ever brought a little rod along and gone fishing in one of the freshwater rivers? What about fly fishing?

LL Bean sells a travel spin/fly combo set, small enough to bring along. I thought about picking one up, but wanted to get some info on this matter first.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 3/10/2008 - 10:49

• Advertisement

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hi, I have took a little telescopic rod to Thailand a few times and been sea fishing. I also bought some fishing tackel (Rod and Real too) in Thialand.

I don't know about fishing excurions but, a few of my mates asked a man with a boat on ko pangang to go fishing and he took them. I cant remember how much it cost them but part of the deal was that the man with the boat kept all the fish they caught.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2008 - 16:03

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your response. I am very interested in doing some freshwater fishing in the rivers and streams of Thailand and/or Laos. I thought I heard once that there is great fly fishing in the area but cannot confirm this. Did you do any freshwater fly or spin fishing? Were the tackel stores for sea fishing or freshwater or both?

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 18/10/2008 - 12:27

• jpq1010

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

i am going to be in laos for seven weeks starting jan. 28th and i am very interested in doing some snakehead fishing,i am going to bring several travel rods with me , just looking for some good areas,not looking to hire a guide, i would much rather hire a local fisherman to take me out for the day.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

thanks
    jay

#4 Posted: 18/11/2008 - 03:09

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hi,

Check out this link: http://www.megafishingthailand.com/content/view/47/40/

It sounds like you would want to go to KANCHANABURI, you could probably just head there and ask the locals for the exact spots

By the way, the above website seems to be comprehensive, actually the best thailand fishing website...travelfish might want to add a link to it since many of us are interested in fishing.

#5 Posted: 18/11/2008 - 09:33

• jpq1010

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2008

i have checked that website before ,it looks great!i have caught snakeheads and bowfins along with peacock bass in south florida,and i do alot of bass fishing in new england,so i can use the same tackle...

i dont know if i am going to be able to make it as far west as KANCHANABURI to fish,my girlfriend is coming along and doesn't want me to fish the whole time.. ;) but i am going to check out nam ngum reservoir (i have read a few things about there being snakeheads there) and a few other places i have found on google earth.(i wish you could post pics of maps here!)
    thanks for the reply... i you think of anywhere else let me know and ill do the same....

#6 Posted: 19/11/2008 - 05:25

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Let me know how it goes! Take photos of your catch if possible!

#7 Posted: 19/11/2008 - 12:17

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I dont know about freshwater fishing but there are lakes and rivers where locals fish all over Thailand. The tackel shops i went in where ina couple of different places. One was in a mall in pattaya and the other was a little shop in Bang Saphan.

Sorry, dont have more info. :(

#8 Posted: 26/11/2008 - 17:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Where can i go fishing in South East Asia? ... By Tomhamish on 28 Apr 2011 3 4134 9 May 2011