Southeast Asia forum

Get off of the tourist trail!

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello,

I found the following article entitled "How to get off the tourist trail" it is all about SE Asia. It has some pretty good ideas that I think you will all be interested in, suck as biking the Mekong River.

http://matadortrips.com/8get-off-the-tourist-trail-in-southeast-asia/

I would like to add to the list. Not just getting off of the tourist trail, but "relatively" unique experiences.

How about the following:
    -fishing the freshwater rivers in SE Asia
    -visiting a prison/prisoners in Thailand
    -Homestays, especially in Laos
    -Hanging out with the crowds protesting currently in Bangkok.

I am not sure if my list can all be considered "unique" or "off the tourist trail" but I am just trying to brainstorm as I anxiously awail Dec 31 (when I fly into BKK again)!!

#1 Posted: 18/10/2008 - 12:58

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

-volunteer a few days or weeks teaching children English in Cambodia

#2 Posted: 18/10/2008 - 13:01

• aussieinbkk

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2008

Joining a protest you know nothing about is just plain stupid. Also dangerous, several protesters have been killed.

#3 Posted: 18/10/2008 - 22:29

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Matt,

I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences after you get back from you trip, to see how your off-the-beaten-track ideas worked out for you.

I absolutely agree with aussieinbkk, however, that joining a protest that you know nothing about is dangerous. Please do not do that one. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 19/10/2008 - 03:30

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry Matt, but I also have to throw my hat into the ring and agree with Aussie and Exacto ... crowds of protestors, particularly in countries like Thailand, are best viewed from a distance.

Last time I tried this was during my very first trip to Asia in May of '92. Big protests were going on near KSR and, being pretty naive, I thought they were very interesting. During a "peaceful" student protest at Suan Luang, the military opened fire on the crowd and killed over 200 people. People scattered, then regrouped by the 10's of thousands and came back ready to start wiping the streets with the militia. They wanted blood! It was not a great place to be. It was terrifying!

The military knew they were in trouble and brought the King out to calm things down. It worked.

Stay away from crowds of protestors.

Your other suggestions are great, though, and I plan to follow through on the cycling one this December.

Cheers.

#5 Posted: 22/10/2008 - 19:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.