Southeast Asia forum

6 weeks in Cambodia and Laos - Please check my intinerary

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello,

I have been to SE Asia a few times but have never visited Cambodia and Laos.

I am taking the trip with my girlfriend. I am a beach bum which will explain all the time in southern Cambodia. Other than that and Ankor Wat, we are much more excited about Laos.

Please look over this intinerary and tell me if I will have problems with transportation and/or if I am missing any major stops. Thanks in advance!

Phnom Pehn (3 days)
    Sihanokville & islands (6 days)
    Siem Reap (3 days)
    Stung Treng (1 day)
    4000 Islands (3 days)
    Pakse (2 days)
    Vientiane (2 or 3 days)
    Viang Vieng (2 days)
    Luang Prabang (3 or 4 days)
    Gibbon Experience (if possible)
    Muang Ngoi (2 days)
    Anywhere (6 days to stay in some places longer if needed)
    Head to Bangkok (2 days)

What is a good cheap way to get to Bangkok from N. Laos?

I have 6 extra days in Laos, any suggestions on what I am missing? We am thinking 1 day for those caves near Vientiane.

#1 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 11:46

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Correction - By "we am" I meant "we are" ^^

#2 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 11:48

• Kaja

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2008

Posted from within Vietnam.

I would recommend you spend less time in Phnom Penn (a rather terrible place, at least compared to te rest of Cambodia....you'll see what I'm talking about when you get there :) and maybe spend more time up north....if you go all the way up to Banlung instead of Stung Treng and stay there for 2 or 3 days you could get bikes & go round the tribal villages, get a feeling of the 'real' Cambodia, with hardly any tourists and loads of great people.
    in Sihanoukville, be sure not to miss the excellent seafood BBQ in the Moonshack, it's right on the beach, you can't miss it since it's the busiest place around dinnertime.....great BBQ and 0.50$ beer :)
    and the cinema across the street from Monkey Republic is just brilliant!
    If you've got time, the Plain of Jars is really impressive in Laos, a nice way to spend a couple of days is also just taking a local boat down the Mekong and jumping off at random villages that you like the look of...most have a 'hotel' (a room with a bed & a mozzie net) and the locals are really happy to see tourists (they seem to think westerners are just about the funniest creatures about :)
    anyways, take it easy and don't be too obsessed with sticking to your itinerary and you'll hae a great time :)
    cheers!

#3 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 13:27

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Kaja, thank you so much for the great advice. The Banlung idea is wonderful and will be added to my intinerary.

I wanted to follow up with you about Phnom Pehn. I had it listed for three days because I am interested in history. I have been reading about the "Dark ages" of Cambodia and thought I might want to stay there to see the museums and the killing fields. Can I get all of this history outside of the city? (I wasn't sure if the good museums and killing fields were inside the city or somewhere else)

These "local boats" that go down the Mekong...Are these the ones that everyone complains about being overcrowded? Or do you just hire a guy with a little boat in each of the towns? It's another great idea so I would like to fit it in. Where did you hop on and off?

Thanks a lot!!

#4 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 20:00

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

By the "dark ages" I meant the time it was ruled by Pol Pot not 1618-1863.

#5 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 20:04

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I strongly disagree that Phnom Penh is "a rather terrible place" :). And as long as you stay away from the lakeside area and explore a little, it is anyway more "real" Cambodia than Sihanoukville for sure, whatever that means. But the rampant development for the rich combined with the poverty of the rest that one sees in a short stay in PP does give a rather one-sided image of the country, so I do agree with the suggestions to spend some days in the more countryside provinces too. Kompong Cham and Chhnang are pretty good choices for that too in my opinion.

For an introduction into Pol Pot times, the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (inside PP) and the Choeung Ek killing fields (a short ride outside PP) are the usual choices, and worthwhile. You'll get much more out of your visits with an actual guide and not just a driver, if that fits your budget. For other periods of history, the National Museum in PP is pretty good too.

#6 Posted: 29/10/2008 - 21:39

• planteroftr-
    ees

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2005
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 8

You might want to add a day or two to go out to the Bolaven Plateau...I always recommend Tad Lo as a nice retreat in southern Lao....also I would go to Champasak (the town) and go to Wat Phu...no as impressive as Angkor...but relaxing town and atmosphere that is often over looked on the way to Don Det

#7 Posted: 31/10/2008 - 04:55

• planteroftr-
    ees

Joined Travelfish
    19th November, 2005
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 8

You might want to add a day or two to go out to the Bolaven Plateau...I always recommend Tad Lo as a nice retreat in southern Lao....also I would go to Champasak (the town) and go to Wat Phu...no as impressive as Angkor...but relaxing town and atmosphere that is often over looked on the way to Don Det

#8 Posted: 31/10/2008 - 04:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Feedback on proposed intinerary: Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By morgiane on 28 Jul 2011 5 2475 30 Jul 2011
Indonesia: 5 weeks ideal intinerary ... By atramiz on 22 Jan 2012 5 3005 25 Jan 2012