Southeast Asia forum

Laos/Vietnam advice wanted! x

• iciclesecret

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2008

Hello,
    We're flying into HCMC on 27th December and have three weeks off work but nothing planned so far. I'm concerned that at this time of year that flights will get booked up in advance, and I'm not keen to spend time in travel agents or internet cafes trying to find last minute alternatives, as has happened to us at this time of year in Thailand.

1) Should we book flights in advance?
    2) Should we book Halong Bay cruise in advance? Can anyone recommend a small reputable cruiser?
    3) Should we book accomodation in Vang Vieng in advance? How much does a driver/car cost from Vientiane cost as we may miss the bus connection?
    4) Any feedback on the below itinerary would be much appreciated. We're not keen on big cities so were going to give Hanoi/Vientiane a miss - and I know Vang Vieng is touristy but it's my partners birthday on New Year so we're keen to have people to celebrate with. Is Hoi An recommended? We were keen to do 4000 islands or Siem Reap instead, but it doesn't fit into the itinerary as well.
    5) Would you recommend bus/train for any of the below flights for the scenery or experience?
    6) Can anyone recommend a 2 day 1 night trek I could fit into the itinerary?
    7) Is Nha Trang a bit rough? I've heard stores about prostitutes attacking! Is Mui Ne better?

27th Dec - land HCMC
    28th Dec - HCMC
    29th Dec - HCMC to Vientiane FLIGHT BUS/CAR onwards to Vang Vieng
    30th Dec - Vang Vieng
    31st Dec - Vang Vieng
    1st Dec - Vang Vieng
    2nd Dec - Vang Vieng - Luang Prabang BUS
    3rd Dec - Luang Prabang
    4th Dec - Luang Prabang
    5th Dec - Luang Prabang
    6th Dec - Luang Prabang - Hanoi FLIGHT
    7th Dec - Halong Bay
    8th Dec - Halong Bay
    9th Dec - Hanoi - Danang for Hoi An FLIGHT
    10th Dec - Hoi An
    11th Dec - Hoi An
    12th Dec - Danang - Nha Trang FLIGHT
    13th Dec - Nha Trang/Mui Ne
    14th Dec - Nha Trang/Mui Ne
    15th Dec - Nha Trang/Mui Ne
    16th Dec - Nha Trang/Mui Ne
    17th Dec - Fly from HCMC at 8pm

#1 Posted: 24/11/2008 - 03:57

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

While you say you're not a big city person. I'd say you gotta give Hanoi a go! Shave a day off your Nha Trang slot and try it out -- it's a terrific town.

Onto your questions:
    1) The problematic one could be Luang Prabang to Hanoi -- I'd try to sort that as soon as you arrive in Vn.
    2) No. Book it in Hanoi . Search the forum here for Ha Long Bay tours and see the Feature stories section for a series of stories regarding looking for the right tour.
    3) No. Unless you're set on a very specific place to stay, I'd just wing it
    4) Hoi An is a bit disneylandesque, but worth a stop - especially for first time visitors to Vn. Check out our new Hoi An guide! (shameless plug)
    5)The prettiest part of Vns railway is Da Nang to Hue -- which you're not doing. No other legs spring to mind, though I've heard the LP to Hanoi flight is very pretty.
    6) Not quite what you asked for, but look into some of the elephant/mahout experience courses run out of Luang Prabang ... could be interesting -- I think we've got a story about that in the pipeline.
    7) Depends on your interests -- yes NT can be a bit rough around the edges, but some find Mui Ne rather boring. Overall the beaches around NT are better -- note around NT.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 24/11/2008 - 20:17

• markfromnap-
    lesfl

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

hi i will be arriveing in hanoi on feb 9 and any
    nice guest house i am traveling alone ....shood i bring my computer ???hope i can get some advice ...thank you mark

#3 Posted: 25/11/2008 - 02:43

• wigboy

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2006

I don't understand the logic for your stops. You are flying into South Vietnam, and then going to Northern Laos right away.

You"re giving yourself 4 days in VV and 4 days in LP, but you don't want to see Vientianne...the Capital? There is far more to see there than VV.

If I were you, I would take your itinerary and flip it. Do it in the reverse order. Then you go south to north in Vietnam, then cross into Laos and go north to south, and finally fly into HCMC from Vientianne. Just my opinion...

Also, I believe you will need 2x Vietnamese Visas the way you currently have it laid out.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 17:52

• wigboy

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2006

BTW... Vientianne is a Capital city, but FAR from a big city.

#5 Posted: 28/11/2008 - 17:57

• markfromnap-
    lesfl

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2008

hi all i am traveing from Naples Fl and will be in H M C on feb 9 ..I am traveling alone if anyone want to meet and travel please let me know ..FYI 44 normal have done a lot of travel open to doing most things and i will be in south East asia until april 7 .....hope to meet other travlers ...Mark

#6 Posted: 1/1/2009 - 21:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted ... By plawhon on 9 Nov 2007 6 5333 1 Dec 2009
Researchers wanted - Vietnam and Laos ... By somtam2000 on 22 Jun 2006 0 1767 22 Jun 2006