Southeast Asia forum

Quitting smoking

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I am down to 1 cig a day and now I am off to the worst area in the world for smokers.

Does anyone know if the pharmacies in Thailand and/or Cambodia sell the nicotine gum?

I did good almost quitting while I have been back to the USA for a month!

#1 Posted: 28/12/2008 - 07:06

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Matt

Maybe you could rethink the 'process'.

Factually, I'm told, the body is addicted to nicotine, and bodily 'need' for nicotine departs at about day 5. After that, the addiction is psychological.

All humans (from baby's onward) have a hand to mouth fetish (sort of explains why we love to eat).

This explains the psychological part of the 'addicition' for the cig: we are psychologically 'addicted' to the hand-mouth 'relationship'.

So, using 'replacements' or even going 'cold turkey' for the 5 days addresses the bodily addiction, but not the psychological aspect.

When I gave up, I went 'cold turkey' and in so doing the 5 days was just a mental exercise like hunger.

But, the ongoing 'desire' to put something to my mouth was the hardest aspect - especially when relaxing & having a beer (or 2, or 3, or ...).

What 'solved' it for me was having a ball point pen in my top pocket (where I'd previously kept my smokes) and when my hand went there, I'd pull out the pen and 'play' with it. Sometimes, I'd even chew on it, etc.

So, the 'lesson' here is to address the psychological part. That's the hardest part to flick!!

Cheers

#2 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 05:32

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm not sure how much a pack of cigarettes is in the US, but in Australia they're around $14 -- while in Thailand they're about $2. What I'd suggest is each time you buy a $2 pack, go and give the other $12 away -- that should help you stop :-)

But in answer to your question, yes you'll be able to get the patches gum in chemists and what not in major centres.

#3 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 05:47

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I don't know much about the science but Somtam I agree with you. Here in the USA they are about $6 a pack and you can't smoke inside anywhere. In Thailand and Cambodia they will be cheap as dirt and I wont have to go outside in the cold to smoke one!

Ahhhhh will power, I need will power!!

#4 Posted: 29/12/2008 - 07:38

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

If anyone needs to know now or in the future....

You can buy Nicomild (generic Nicorette quitting smoking gum) in Thailand at most pharmacies. Save yourself money and go with the generic!

I bought a box of 6 packs and haven't smoked in a few days now. I think it was like 400 baht or so but a small price to pay to quit smoking!

#5 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 11:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

congratulations! good for you.

#6 Posted: 4/2/2009 - 22:30

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Ahhhhh Matt, this might explain the tenor of some of your comments regarding Cambodian 'corruption'.

About 30 years ago I gave up smoking (I was then in hospital with a collapsed lung after major surgery).

There were no 'crutches' then!

I found that if I put a biro in my top pocket, which was where I kept my fags, whenever my hand went for a smoke, I pulled out the biro and 'played' with it instead.

I later learnt that part of the 'withdrawal' is psychological and that the 'surrogate' biro allowed me to do the hand-mouth thing without tobacco.

From long habit, I still have a biro in my top pocket.

cheers

#7 Posted: 5/2/2009 - 06:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Congrats on quitting. Hold the course man. Terrible habit - killed my grandfather, a slow, painful death.

#8 Posted: 14/6/2009 - 18:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.