Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Where in Indochina and Thailand?

Posted by rjbex on 13/1/2009 at 21:09

Hi all, great forum I'm looking forward to spending some time here!

I'm looking for some advice on where to travel in Indochina and Thailand within a certain time and budget limit. I'm planning to travel solo for July and August, maybe a couple of weeks of September. I can have around £2000 GBP for spending and accommodation money.

Firstly, is this remotely realistic?
I.E...
- do I have enough time to cover Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in minimum 8 weeks?
- will I have enough dosh?! Techinically I could leave a bit earlier - but this will mean less money saved up by the time I leave
- is it stupid to travel this area in monsoon season?

Further to this... is there a route which is better? From Bangkok clockwise or anticlockwise around the Indochina region?

I have a billion other queries but I thought it best to start with the basics. I would love some thoughts if anyone has time to contribute!

Thanks, Bex

#1 rjbex has been a member since 13/1/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/1/2009 at 07:17 admin

Hi Bex,

Four countries in eight weeks will mean a very full menu of travel. I'd suggest dropping one, Vietnam most likely) to save for another trip.

Cost wise you're looking at 35 quid a day, which is more than enough for a backpacker style trip.

See the suggested itinerary section, especially the regional ones to see how long it will take you to get around.

I wouldn't worry to much about monsoon, but I wouldn't bother with the Cambodian coastline that time of year.

More questions, ask away!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by rjbex on 14/1/2009 at 20:22

Thanks for your reply.

Do you really think its not enough time? Hmmm. I'm not planning to spend too long in Thailand realistically, as I'm probably least interested in there. I do however plan to spend maybe one week at a Muay Thai camp on one of the islands, and was hoping to move on to either Laos or Cambodia.

I think I'd like to spend most of my time possibly in Vietnam. Is it dangerous to motorbike there? I do have a full license already, but with backpack etc I'm not convinced it would be too easy. Is it possible to rent a bike in the north for example and drop it off in the south or vice versa?

Is this a friendly region for solo travellers during July/August? I mean is it very likely to meet people and travel a bit with them or at least get to know some people during the trip?

#3 rjbex has been a member since 13/1/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by rjbex on 23/1/2009 at 04:38

I'm considering flying into Phnom Penh , travelling through Cambodia and Laos, and then top to toe Vietnam, and striking Thailand off my itinerary.

I want to be able to move at a slower pace and actually enjoy the culture and get to know the people and their ways - the last thing I want to do is bomb is from place to place ticking things out of the guidebook - its not that sort of trip for me.

I think educationally Vietnam is going to have much more to offer me than Thailand, and I'm definitely dropping one of those of my itinerary - my heart says Vietnam is more important to me to see.

Does anyone have thoughts on this route? Fly into Phnom Penh Cambodia - cross into Laos - top to toe Vietnam fly home from Ho Chi Minh City.

Just as a reminder my travel time is likely to be 8-10 weeks.

Would really appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

#4 rjbex has been a member since 13/1/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by rjbex on 23/1/2009 at 05:10

Also, whats the verdict on these flights with Korean Airways... £608 GBP into Phnom Penh and leaving from Ho Chi Minh?

Feedback appreciated thank you!

#5 rjbex has been a member since 13/1/2009. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.