Southeast Asia forum

Where in Indochina and Thailand?

• rjbex

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

Hi all, great forum I'm looking forward to spending some time here!

I'm looking for some advice on where to travel in Indochina and Thailand within a certain time and budget limit. I'm planning to travel solo for July and August, maybe a couple of weeks of September. I can have around £2000 GBP for spending and accommodation money.

Firstly, is this remotely realistic?
    I.E...
    - do I have enough time to cover Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in minimum 8 weeks?
    - will I have enough dosh?! Techinically I could leave a bit earlier - but this will mean less money saved up by the time I leave
    - is it stupid to travel this area in monsoon season?

Further to this... is there a route which is better? From Bangkok clockwise or anticlockwise around the Indochina region?

I have a billion other queries but I thought it best to start with the basics. I would love some thoughts if anyone has time to contribute!

Thanks, Bex

#1 Posted: 13/1/2009 - 21:09

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Bex,

Four countries in eight weeks will mean a very full menu of travel. I'd suggest dropping one, Vietnam most likely) to save for another trip.

Cost wise you're looking at 35 quid a day, which is more than enough for a backpacker style trip.

See the suggested itinerary section, especially the regional ones to see how long it will take you to get around.

I wouldn't worry to much about monsoon, but I wouldn't bother with the Cambodian coastline that time of year.

More questions, ask away!

#2 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 07:17

• rjbex

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

Thanks for your reply.

Do you really think its not enough time? Hmmm. I'm not planning to spend too long in Thailand realistically, as I'm probably least interested in there. I do however plan to spend maybe one week at a Muay Thai camp on one of the islands, and was hoping to move on to either Laos or Cambodia.

I think I'd like to spend most of my time possibly in Vietnam. Is it dangerous to motorbike there? I do have a full license already, but with backpack etc I'm not convinced it would be too easy. Is it possible to rent a bike in the north for example and drop it off in the south or vice versa?

Is this a friendly region for solo travellers during July/August? I mean is it very likely to meet people and travel a bit with them or at least get to know some people during the trip?

#3 Posted: 14/1/2009 - 20:22

• rjbex

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

I'm considering flying into Phnom Penh , travelling through Cambodia and Laos, and then top to toe Vietnam, and striking Thailand off my itinerary.

I want to be able to move at a slower pace and actually enjoy the culture and get to know the people and their ways - the last thing I want to do is bomb is from place to place ticking things out of the guidebook - its not that sort of trip for me.

I think educationally Vietnam is going to have much more to offer me than Thailand, and I'm definitely dropping one of those of my itinerary - my heart says Vietnam is more important to me to see.

Does anyone have thoughts on this route? Fly into Phnom Penh Cambodia - cross into Laos - top to toe Vietnam fly home from Ho Chi Minh City.

Just as a reminder my travel time is likely to be 8-10 weeks.

Would really appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

#4 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 04:38

• rjbex

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2009

Also, whats the verdict on these flights with Korean Airways... £608 GBP into Phnom Penh and leaving from Ho Chi Minh?

Feedback appreciated thank you!

#5 Posted: 23/1/2009 - 05:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.