Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Cameron Highlands

Posted by dmg on 18/1/2009 at 10:07

Hello,

Looking for advice on travel in Cameron highlands regarding:
1) Transportation from KL - is there a scenic route that is best? Or, what is the quickest way to get there?
2) Tours - there seems to be a lot of tour operators and packages. are there particular excursions anyone would highlight as a must do or avoid?

thanks

#1 dmg has been a member since 9/3/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by brucemoon on 18/1/2009 at 15:14

dmg

I went there a year ago. Travelled there in a rented car. Most travel from KL to Tapah (on the way to Ipoh), then up to Tanah Rata.

Compared to other places, I was VERY disappointed with the area (eg. in and around Brinchang & Tanah Rata). Plastic 'glass' houses dominate the landscape, horticultural buildings everywhere, etc. etc. the 'walks' are sort of nice, if you like crowds.

That said, the wider area is attractive, but unless you have your own wheels, you won't see.

A sort of similar location, but infinitely better, is Bukit Fraser (Fraser's hill).

Just in case you may not have considered it, are you going to Taman Negara (via Jerantut, and onto Kuala Tembeling). Kuala Tahan is spartan, but a necessity as a base to explore. I was fortunate to stumble across an aboriginal community while there.

cheers

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by dmg on 19/1/2009 at 08:48

hi brucemoon,

very helpful, thank you. i think we'll look into renting a car since we've already booked the hotel at cameron.

we have yet to plan what we will do once there. so i'll see if we can check out the places you mention - taman negara, etc.

thanks very much!

#3 dmg has been a member since 9/3/2008. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.