Southeast Asia forum

Where does "Same Same... but different" comes from?

• alemauro

Joined Travelfish
    4th September, 2008

Hi!!. I am Argentinian and I don't know where the Same Same... but different comes from... I am in Tailand... and you can see it in every t-shirt on every store!.

Maybe is a movie or a commercial... I don't know...

Jano

#1 Posted: 28/1/2009 - 08:53

• Advertisement

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

I don't really know the answer to this but it has been around for a long time.I'd hazard a guess that the 'same,same' is pointing out that all Thais have the same traits,charachteristics etc.'But diferent'-they are very subtly different from each other.Perhaps someone else has a different idea....

#2 Posted: 28/1/2009 - 13:57

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Like Thaiman, the saying seems to have been used 'forever'.

But, many years ago, the saying was 'Same...Same' meaning similar.

When and where the 'But Different' became added eludes me.

cheers

#3 Posted: 28/1/2009 - 16:57

• TheGoose

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009

My guess would be;

"same, same" is because Thai's often repeat things twice - "boat, boat" "cheap, cheap" and the but different was added by travellers over time as the phrase same, same is often used when comparing things that are totally different.

#4 Posted: 12/4/2009 - 16:42

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I don't know but I heard a pretty hilarious conversation recently between a western couple and a Vietnamese guesthouse clerk. The western guy asked the receptionist "What's the weather supposed to be like tomorrow?". Really quickly, she replied, "Same same different today." The guy thought she'd said "same same" only, and he said, "oh, same as today?" His perplexed girlfriend said, "but different?" The receptionist just nodded with a smile... Got to love it.

#5 Posted: 12/4/2009 - 21:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.