Southeast Asia forum

So when is low season?

• kteacher

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2009

I know this is a bit of a newbie question. But I am planning my trip and am wondering when exactly "low" season is in SE Asia.

My guess is that high season is December to February, and low season is any time outside of that. Am i Right?

#1 Posted: 29/1/2009 - 22:27

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi teacher,

that's pretty much the case. at least in thailand, december to february is the traditional high season, because it is a great time for northern hemisphere folks to escape the snow and cold to hang out on a lovely beach.

it seems to me that traditionally april can be a slow month for tourism, since that is when the temperatures begin to really heat up. apart from that, the rainy season is also slower than other times. the rainy season can extend from late may until early september, with the heaviest rain in the june/july/august timeframe, in most parts of the country. however, on the gulf of thailand side, the rainy season in later, something like october and november.

even so, the slow months aren't as slow as they used to be, and thailand is a year-round destination now. for example, some folks purposefully head to thailand in april now to participate in the thai new year songkran festival. others like going in the rainy season because prices definitely are lower, but you usually will only have rain for a few hours each day.

our last trip was during the rainy season in june and july. it definitely rained quite a bit, but not every day, and in those two months, we only had all-day rain twice.

was that clear as mud? when were you planning on going? cheers.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2009 - 23:19

• Thaiman

Click here to learn more about Thaiman
    Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2008

As Exacto says Thailand is really an all year round destination these days.We went last October and it was still raining then.Not every day and not all day.It made it different from the normal dry season which is the same every day. Got a look at some good tropical storms and some relief from the heat.

#3 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 14:07

• kteacher

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2009

Thanks for the info!!

I'm actually not going to Thailand, I'll be in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Do you know if the same holds true for those countries?

#4 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 19:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey teach,

the bulk of my experience is in thailand, so that's why i focused there. i haven't been to vietnam, but from my travels to laos and cambodia, things are pretty similar.

much of the high/low season is tied to the rainy season/monsoons. the rainy season is pretty similar to thailand's in laos and cambodia. vietnam is too, but i think it varies more by region.

there is a good weather section for each country on the website. give those a read and that will help you better know when the high and low seasons will be. regards.

#5 Posted: 30/1/2009 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.