Southeast Asia forum

3-4 days, where should I go?

• Live1284

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2009

I am going to Bangkok, then Cambodia to see Angkor for several days. I will then have 3 to 4 days to visit somewhere else before I return home from Tokyo. Looking at Laos vs. Vietnam, leaning towards Laos. Convenience of travel is a big factor, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 01:02

• Advertisement

• seagypsy

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2009

Well you could fly from Angkor/ Siem Reap up to Luang Prabang , Laos and visit for those 3-4 days. 3-4 days should suffice for a relaxing visit for this Mekong and Nam Khan riverside town. Both Lao Airlines and Vietnam Airlines offer flights with Lao Airlines usually being cheaper but I also saw recently that Bangkok Airways was offering aa discount promotion for roundtrip flights between Luang Prabang and Siem Reap at U$200 roundtrip. Bangkok Airways and Lao Airlines both offer a 'discovery pass' in which you get discounts for multi-flights on their airpass. If you're flying from Bangkok to Siem Reap for Angkor, then you could also fly Bangkok Airways to Luang Prabang and back to BKK on this airpass.

#2 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 11:27

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Man, 3-4 days for another country?????

Why?

Spend it in Battambang and/or Sihanoukville. There are direct busses to each of these destinations and they are both cool, cheap, fun, etc.

Save Vietnam and Laos for another trip...You don't have time.

#3 Posted: 6/2/2009 - 19:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi live,

that's a tough request. if you have the cash, you could certainly fly to luang prabang as suggested. luang prabang is great, and while i agree that you could do a proper visit in three days, that's still a lot of money and effort to go there for that short amount of time and you'll definitely leave wanting more.

you might also consider taking the bus down to phnom penh and then perhaps onwards to a cambodian beach destination.

another alternative might be returning to thailand and picking out a place you'd like to visit there. kanchanaburi is a nice 3-day getaway. or there is always koh chang or even koh samet. those put you relatively close to bangkok for ease of catching your flight. i'd normally recommend ayutthaya too, but after angkor, it will seem much less impressive.

you'd also mentioned flying back from tokyo? are you heading to tokyo or going home through tokyo? i ask because we did a 3-day stopover in tokyo on our last trip and head a fantastic, albeit expensive, visit. cheers.

#4 Posted: 7/2/2009 - 22:11

• Live1284

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2009

I'm flying in and out of Tokyo, but the reason for the trip is to go to Angkor. I work for the airlines, so I travel a lot in shorter trips instead of staying in one place for a week or two. I have several days to play with after Angkor, and I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll probably end up going to another city in Thailand or maybe hang around Tokyo before I go home. After reading up on Laos and Vietnam, and based on your opinions, there's too much I'd like to try and do in just 3-4 days. I'll probably save that for another trip. Thanks again for your opinions.

#5 Posted: 8/2/2009 - 03:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.