Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila?

Posted by mingkoy on 16/2/2009 at 20:00

This is gonna be my first ever solo travel outside the Philippines.

I want to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand.

Could anyone help me on the most straightforward route from Manila to these SEA countries?

I'm most interested in culture and people, nature, and beautiful sceneries.

Thanks a lot!

#1 mingkoy has been a member since 16/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by dawntlc on 27/2/2009 at 16:52

Hi! i think you can reach Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam via Thailand..
Book your ticket to bangkok, then go to Laos and Cambodia by land..
I am not sure about Vietnam if possible by land.. But i am sure you can go to Vietnam directly from Philippines or stop over to Singapore then Vietnam.

#2 dawntlc has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 17

Posted by mingkoy on 27/2/2009 at 17:00

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I think my route would be Thailand-Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam (by air). And yes, there are Manila-Saigon/HCM flights and vice versa.

#3 mingkoy has been a member since 16/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by dawntlc on 27/2/2009 at 17:06

you are welcome... may i ask have you been to other places in asia
i am looking for places to visit.. I am going to thailand too on March 3

#4 dawntlc has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 17

Posted by mingkoy on 27/2/2009 at 17:11

I've been to Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and Japan. My wish list includes Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Nepal, India, China, Sri Lanka. I'm also travelling to remote places here in the Philippines. I just wish I had the time and money! :)

#5 mingkoy has been a member since 16/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by dawntlc on 27/2/2009 at 17:19

I recommend you go to the Las Vegas of Asia that is Macau, or ride in a Gondola (Venetian)and from Macau you can go to the Divisoria of China (Zhuhai). You have been to Hk so there's no need to go there from macau via ferryboat.. This trip you will not spend much.. Macau and China in one stone.. You can stay to the Filipinos there who accept transient boarder..

#6 dawntlc has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 17

Posted by mingkoy on 27/2/2009 at 17:25

Thanks!
Actually, I'm into photography - a hobby. That's why I need to travel, budget travel. :)

#7 mingkoy has been a member since 16/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by anjooo on 25/6/2010 at 06:38

hi mingkoy,
im just curious how ur trip went as im planning a 3-4 week trip to vietnam and cambodia from the philippines, too (and with the same points of interests as u). if u dont mind, i have a few questions that u might be able to help me with?
1. do u need a return/onward ticket to depart from manila to HCMC/or other SEA country and HCMC to siem reap/PP? what are the visa requirements for philippine passport holders.
2. any additional tips/recommendation for manila-vietnam-cambodia trip?

thank u!
-anj-

#8 anjooo has been a member since 18/6/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by Babalugats on 17/8/2010 at 12:38

Hi Mingkoy,

When will you visit Indochina? I went there last June.

It's up to you if you want to start your trip in Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh. I chose the latter. I visited central Vietnam. Then I rode a bus to Siem Reap. Then I went to Bangkok.

If your want a mix of eco-tourist destinations and culture, then southern Vietnam (Nha Trang, Mue Ne, and Ho Chi Minh) will appeal to you. If you want more historical stuff, you may go to Hue and Hoi An (in central Vietnam).

One day is sufficient enough to see and study most of the Angkor ruins. The entrance to Angkor Thom, the solemn faces carved in Bayon Temple, and Ta Phrom are postcard perfect.

Thailand is too tourist-y. I'm sure you have a list of places to see.

#9 Babalugats has been a member since 21/3/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 73
 Where has Babalugats been?   Website   Twitter   Google+ 

Posted by renrendiaz on 28/8/2010 at 21:30

You can from Manila to Thailand(by air)to Laos and Cambodia(by land)to Vietnam by air.It is a wonderful trip.Those countries are almost the same as Philippines in terms of culture,nature and people.But i really i love Philippines.

#10 renrendiaz has been a member since 28/8/2010. Posts: 18
 Website 

Posted by mingkoy on 29/8/2010 at 10:29

Thank you guys for your helpful replies - dawntlc, anjooo, Babalugats, renrendiaz!

I have no progress on this plan as yet as I am buried at work. But I will definitely push with this plan soon.

Happy travels!

#11 mingkoy has been a member since 16/2/2009. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.