Southeast Asia forum

purchasing prescription drugs

• sebound

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

I am on five medications and will need to refill them at least 4 times while I am in SE asia. My plan is to be there for 5.5 months, going from thailand,malaysia,cambodia, loas to vietnam. Will there be any problem getting prescriptions filled in any of these countries? I would do it here but insurance only pays for one month at a time and paying cash here is expensive. Has anyone had experience with this? Any input will be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 01:20

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'm guessing here, as I've no idea what meds you're after -- but generally speaking, not "not-exotic" scripts, I wouldn't expect too many problems.

#2 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 08:35

• sebound

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

Thanks for your reply. No exotics just heart meds.

#3 Posted: 21/3/2009 - 18:53

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sebound

I suggest you take your own supply.

Prescription drugs - especially heart drugs - serve specific purposes.

I'm from Australia + I've bought drugs in Malaysia, but not all 'brands' are available there. Often, the nearest product is a bit different.

In Vietnam, their drug 'regime is Russian based, and while some drugs are similar, others are quite different (as an aside, the Russian approach to drugs has some that are far better than the those in the English speaking world).

In Cambodia, there's not much around. If one is 'desperate' they'd possibly pick up in Siem Reap, but not much elswhere.

Thailand has some comparability with those in the English speaking world, but you may end up taking pot luck.

If your doctor has you on medication, the medication you need is a relatively small component (weight & size). So, I'd suggest 'be smart'.

cheers

#4 Posted: 29/3/2009 - 18:37

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

The drugs I take (2) are not available in Thailand. Although one can probably be subsitutited (sp) the other can't. I deal with a small pharmacy in the US and he gives me all I need for my travels and bills my insurance for the monthly amount so that it looks like I am still getting them on a monthly basis. If you go to Thailand take a day and go see a doctor and see what you can do. The cost is very nominal.

#5 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 01:25

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

One other note. Get a letter from you doctor in your home country stating he prescribed those drugs for you. I have never been asked but have one just in case.

#6 Posted: 30/3/2009 - 01:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
buying prescription drugs in thailand ... By kiko1984 on 25 Nov 2013 2 796 25 Nov 2013