Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

ahh....so overwhelmed. 4 months in SE Asia/India

Posted by melmariet on 10/4/2009 at 21:18

So i am completely overwhelmed about planning my trip to SE Asia. I want to have a rough idea of where I am going so i can anticipate how much I will be spending on my trip. But I have no idea what I am doing! :P
Any advicee or information on my budget would be sooooooo appreciated. Also, are all of these destinations "safe" for a 20 year old lone female first-time backpacker? Is my route reasonable with my time-frame - I am completely open to suggestions.
Also, I am a budget backpacker, vendors/hostels-cheap accomodation, etc.

Bangkok 4 days
Chiang Mai 7 days
Bagan ( or other parts of Burma ) 2 week
Chiang Rai 3 days
Luang Prabang 4 days
Van Vieng 3 days
Vietianne 3 days
Pakse 3 days
Siem Riep (Angkor Wat) - 5 days
Bangkok 1 day

3-4 Weeks: (southern Thailand - Penninsular Malaysia)
Hua Hin?/Surat Thani(jump off point to islands) - Ko Tao - Ko Pha-ngan (full moon) - Phuket (jump off point) - Ko Phi Phi and La Kanta -Krabi - Ao Nang - Railay tailboat to Koh Chang - Satun - Ko Tarutao National Martine Park - (then either route A or B)
A) Ko Sumai - Penang - Cameron Highlands - Kuala Kumpr - Mekaka - Singapore
B) Georgetown (near Pulau Penang) - bus to Butterworth - to Kota Bharu - Paral Perhentian - Singapore

Then fly to India to Darjeeling/Himachel Pradesh and stay there for 2 weeks.

#1 melmariet has been a member since 10/4/2009. Posts: 22

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/4/2009 at 10:59 admin

It looks good till you get to your southern Thailand stretch - to cover all that in 3-4 weeks will be pushing it. You don't mention what time of the year you're planning this trip, so you'll need to take that into consideration as different islands get different weather.

I'm confused also with you mentioning Ko Chang -- so you mean the small "other" Ko Chang? (not covered on Travelfish?) If so, that's in the opposite direction to where you're headed.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by melmariet on 11/4/2009 at 20:08

Yeah, i am definitely referring to the "other" Ko Chang. I didn't realize it was that far off my map. I had a feeling my southern thailand section was a too much too fast. I guess I can't decide which beaches I want to go to, yet. I will be traveling from January 15 on, so I think that'd be putting me on the beaches February-May. Somtam, do you have suggestions for a budget for this trip?

#3 melmariet has been a member since 10/4/2009. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.