Southeast Asia forum

5 days from Bangkok in June - Where to go?

• Irvine

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2009

After having seen Chiang Mai and Bangkok I have 5 more days left before I head back home. It will be 11 - 15 June that I will be having off, flying back home just after midnight.

I was thinking of going to Laos, but I think taking slow boats or other transport to LP would take too much of my time (as also suggested to Live1284 in his 3-4 days thread).

What would you guys suggest to go see? Maybe even just stay in Bangkok for a day more (will only have visited BKK for 2 days)?

I'm looking at a little bit of budget travel, but would like to visit either some mountainous areas or areas where it would rain less, as it will probably be raining around that time.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Irvine

#1 Posted: 8/5/2009 - 19:23

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Irvine,

Five days can be a big chunk of time, and if you have the budget to do it, you could fly to Luang Prabang or Siem Reap and Angkor Wat or Samui or such with that time.

However, if you are looking to stay more local and a little bit of budget, as you say, then one destination I'd recommend out of Bangkok is Kanchanaburi. With five days to spend, you could even press on to Sangklaburi. You could also combine that with a side trip to Ayutthaya .

Another good choice would be Koh Samet. It's about a 4-hour bus ride plus a ferry boat ride from Bangers. It can get pretty busy on the weekends, but if you can get there and get your accommodation sorted before the weekend, you should be fine. They say this island doesn't get much rain too, but it has rained nearly every time I've ever been.

If you are doing the five days out of Chiang Mai, then perhaps the Pai, Soppong, Mae Hong Son loop would work for you, as would a 2-to-3-day side trip to Chiang Dao.

You could also just take your time getting back to Bangkok from Chiang Mai, with stopovers in Sukhothai, Lop Buri, and Ayutthaya before spending a few extra days in the Big Mango. So many choices.

Anyway, those are a few ideas to get you started. Others will have good ideas to add too. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 9/5/2009 - 08:12

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Irvine

I agree with exacto - Kanchanaburi - it's so important for so many reasons: go read.

But, have you thought of not allocating these days to anything?

Often, people wish they'd had the opportunity to spend more/less time at some destinations.

You've obviously got a plan of what you want to do (or a fairly good idea). If you give yourself the option to take the plan according to your needs/wants and your own feedback, you may find that the five days can be used to 'do whatever' along the way.

You also say you're only in BKK for 2 days...

Well, there's so much more to see/do than you could ever fit into 2 days.

But, then Chiang Mai is a smaller version of BKK, and some say they'd rather spend time there than BKK.

How long have you 'allocated' for Chiang Mai?

- - - -

All that said, I'd suggest you 'do' the current plan, and give yourself the option to (re)alter as you see fit when 'on the ground', and have as a back-up, more BKK on return +/or a trip to Kanchanaburi.

- - -

Hope this helps.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 9/5/2009 - 11:00

• Irvine

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2009

Hey guys,

Thank you for the fast reply. The trip I'll be going on is actually a uni trip and the program for the first 10 days is pretty much set:
    2 days in Dubai, 1 day in BKK (Chinatown tour) - nighttrain to Chiang Mai , 4 days in/around Chiang Mai (temples, jungle tour, elephants, caves, etc.), 1 day in Bangkok w/bicycle tour.

I think most people are flying to Phuket, but I'm not much of a beach person and don't want to go where everyone else goes.

Staying in BKK for a day or 2 more sounds like a good plan to relax a bit and see what comes up! I'm sure there's a lot to do in Bangkok itself and its surroundings. Then I will probably go to some 'neighbouring' city - not too crowded or touristy (if I can find one).

Cheers!
    Irvine

#4 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 17:49

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Irvine

Go to Kanchanaburi.

You can do this with a visit to the (morning) floating market 'en route'.

There's a great waterfall area nearby (for swimming, etc.), and there's obviously the history of the area (including Hellfire pass).

I suggest you do a bit of background reading.

But go there as a contrast to current (modern day) urban Thailand.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 18:15

• Irvine

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2009

Thanks brucemoon!

Sounds like it's worth a visit. Looking more and more forward to going there! I'll surely be doing some reading up on the area.

Cheers - Irvine

#6 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 19:48

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

#7 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 19:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.