Southeast Asia forum

Looking for advice on my ten day itinerary.

• ktb690

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2009

So yes, I know this will not do South East Asia justice but we are foreign students studying in Beijing that don't have any time and we want to just do what we can. If you have time look over my brief itinerary for a second and let me know ANYTHING that could help! I appreciate anyone's comments and suggestions!

I am planning this kinda on my own so this website has been EXTREMELY helpful. We are students so we don't really care about poor conditions, money is tight but not to the point that we'll take a 3 day bus over a more expensive plane. If you have a specific place in any of these cities where WE CAN'T MISS then please tell me also!

Wed, June 10th -
    Beijing -> Ho Chi Min City
    fly, 1620 Yuan one way 8:20 PM- Arrive 2:00 AM
    Stay in Ho Chi Min

Thur, June 11th-
    Explore Ho Chi Min City
    Jade Emperor Pagoda, Ancient Hindu Temples, Reunification Palace, War Museum and Ho Chi Min Monuments and museums galore.
    Stay over night ho chi min

Fri, June 12th-
    Bus from HCMC to Phnom Penh- 5 hours, $6
    Stay overnight Phnom Penh, heard there's tons to do.

Sat, June 13th
    Explore Phnom Penh
    We can ride along the Mekong River, see the many temples, there's tons of history and independence monuments (read online), and See the killing fields (apparently amazing from Jonny) and the genocide museum.
    Stay over night here.

Sun, June 14th
    Take bus or boat to Siem Reap , 4 hours, a must see according to every site ive visited
    Stay overnight in Siem Reap

Mon, June 15th
    Angkor Wat, a must see (right outside Siem Reap)
    Built between 1113 and 1150 during the reign of King Suryavarman II, Angkor Wat took well over 30 years to complete and upon completion it was dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu. It is a huge relic for people of Cambodia.
    We can also shoot guns and bazookas for $6. Jonny said so.
    Stay again in Siem Reap

Tues, June 16th
    Flight from Siem Reap - Vientiane 10:00 AM, Arrive 1:00 PM
    (I am trying not to do this because its $150 USD but it seems like theres no other way but a long bus ride. If you know how much the overnight bus and day bus are that would be helpful)
    Stay Vientiane for the day/night

Wed, June 17th
    Vientiane exploration!
    Wat Si Muang (buddhist temples), Wat Sisaket (one of the only buildings left standing from the thai invasion, very holy), etc.
    Stay again in Vientiane

Thurs, June 18th
    Bus to Vang Vieng 4 hours
    Stunning scenery, backpacker scene, AND TUBING DOWN THE RIVER FOR BARS down the Nam Song River, with the limestone mountains in the distance
    Stay in Vang Vieng

Fri, June 19th
    Caves, kayaking, rafting in Vang Vieng, rock climbing. The choices are endless.
    Stay in Vang Vieng

Sat, June 20th
    Bus back to Vientianne, 4 hours
    Flight home through AirAsia, stopping overnight in Kuala Lumpur.

Sun, June 21st
    Arrive Beijing.

#1 Posted: 11/5/2009 - 23:26

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

ktb690

I want to be frank?

I think you are stark raving mad.

Now that I've upset you, let me explain.

FIRST:

Elsewhere on Travelfish, there are 'guides' to planning travel. Start by looking at:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/less-is-more

In the middle of that 'page' is:

"Travel can be tiring
    Your trip-plan may look great on a sheet of paper, but don't forget that travelling in Southeast Asia can be uncomfortable, hot and tiring. If you're travelling every other day -- particularly long distances -- you'll rapidly become tired and grumpy."

Did you notice that?

Further on it states:

"Be realistic
    You're on holiday remember? Trying to see the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Wat Saket, The Teak Mansion, The National Museum, Jim Thompson's House and doing a khlong trip all in one day is insane -- yet people try and do it all the time."

Mmmmm!!!

I suggest you are spending way too much time in buses and planes, and waiting rooms, etc., and not nearly enough time actually seeing anything.

From the page I gave you, now go look at:

http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/dont-over-plan

- - - -
    SECOND.

I doubt that you'd see anything like the places on your list for HCMC (Saigon) in one day - try FOUR DAYS!

A full day to get from Saigon to Phnom Penh.

In Phnom Penh, the 2 'genocide' museums (killing fields & torture), the National Museum & the Royal Palace needs ONE FULL day. If you also want to do more, that will be another day!

A day to get to Siem Reap!

The idea that visiting the Angkorian temples can be dome in one day is senseless. You travel for hours and hours, you get to an amazing World heritage place, and you spend only one day!!!! It takes at least 3 days of FULL TIME touring around the Angkorian Temples to see just a little part.

So, with the little time you've got, just FORGET LAOS!!!!

Cheers

#2 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 14:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.