Southeast Asia forum

14 days in Cambodia, Laos and Vietname

• sjanzen

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

My boyfriend and I are going to Siem Reap for a wedding, and want to do as much as possible in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in 14 days before the wedding. Ambitious I know. We're looking for suggestions of "must sees" in these 3 countries and how long we should spend at each. Ankor Wat and Siem Reap are obviously included in our itinerary. We're a bit clueless for the rest although I'd love to see Hanoi and Halong Bay. He also wants to do a 3-day trek somewhere if possible. Any ideas?

#1 Posted: 22/5/2009 - 02:39

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

sjanzen

I note you say "We're a bit clueless...". That means you may be inundated with all sorts of ideas. And, while every idea will have merit, it may not suit your time/budget/preferences.

My personal view is that to comprehend the scale of the Angkorian temples at Siem Reap, one needs at least 4 nights. However, people go for one day and are (apparently) satisfied.

You don't say when you are going, so we don't know whether Halong Bay will be beautiful or closed due to a monsoon.

But, if you are going at an OK time, and you want to 'see' Hanoi (and hopefully also 'experience' the place, then perhaps combine all three options in that area:

Hanoi (you suggest time)

Halong Bay - 3 days: am bus to boat, overnight on boat, next day kayaking, etc/overnight on boat/ return to Hanoi,

Sapa - trekking: on sleeper train to Lao Cai , am to Sapa, afternoon in Sapa, on Sapa next day organised trek in/around ethnic hilltribe areas/ rtn Sapa, to Lao Cai for overnight sleeper train to Hanoi.

next day, fly to Siem Reap.

This will give you a 'taste' of some of the various options that SE Asia has to offer

Just some ideas to mull over.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 22/5/2009 - 07:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
male, 26, slovenian looking for travelbuddy april Laos , May, beg of June vietname&camb and cambodi ... By jure on 16 Mar 2010 3 1587 7 Apr 2010