Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

14 days in Cambodia, Laos and Vietname

Posted by sjanzen on 22/5/2009 at 02:39

My boyfriend and I are going to Siem Reap for a wedding, and want to do as much as possible in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in 14 days before the wedding. Ambitious I know. We're looking for suggestions of "must sees" in these 3 countries and how long we should spend at each. Ankor Wat and Siem Reap are obviously included in our itinerary. We're a bit clueless for the rest although I'd love to see Hanoi and Halong Bay. He also wants to do a 3-day trek somewhere if possible. Any ideas?

#1 sjanzen has been a member since 22/5/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by brucemoon on 22/5/2009 at 07:00

sjanzen

I note you say "We're a bit clueless...". That means you may be inundated with all sorts of ideas. And, while every idea will have merit, it may not suit your time/budget/preferences.

My personal view is that to comprehend the scale of the Angkorian temples at Siem Reap, one needs at least 4 nights. However, people go for one day and are (apparently) satisfied.

You don't say when you are going, so we don't know whether Halong Bay will be beautiful or closed due to a monsoon.

But, if you are going at an OK time, and you want to 'see' Hanoi (and hopefully also 'experience' the place, then perhaps combine all three options in that area:

Hanoi (you suggest time)

Halong Bay - 3 days: am bus to boat, overnight on boat, next day kayaking, etc/overnight on boat/ return to Hanoi,

Sapa - trekking: on sleeper train to Lao Cai , am to Sapa, afternoon in Sapa, on Sapa next day organised trek in/around ethnic hilltribe areas/ rtn Sapa, to Lao Cai for overnight sleeper train to Hanoi.

next day, fly to Siem Reap.

This will give you a 'taste' of some of the various options that SE Asia has to offer

Just some ideas to mull over.

Cheers

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.