Southeast Asia forum

Where is the real Golden Triangle

• tropicaladv-
    enture

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

Soon I will leave thailand,,,wishing to experiance The Golden Triangle.,, I have seen on the net the tourist location to buy gifts,dvd's etc,,,but that not the reson for me going there, I wanted to try some other things there the real illegal stuff in the golden triangle,,, where is it Laos or Burma?

#1 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 17:53

• Advertisement

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

"where is it Laos or Burma?" It's in history books, you're twenty years too late. Might want to check your travel insurance policy, don't think it covers getting bought out of jail.

#2 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 18:59

• tropicaladv-
    enture

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

Ye I know if i choose to do anything I must be safe, Any way which country should i enter to try some stuff?

#3 Posted: 25/5/2009 - 19:31

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Somsai is right. If you really want to try illegal drugs, better to do it in your own country. If you are found with drugs in some places in SE Asia, they put you in jail take you to court, decide you are guilty and then shoot you.

The term Golden Triangle was made by the US gov't some 40 years ago and referred to the opium poppy growing area in northern laos, northern Thailand, eastern Burma, and southern China: the mid-Mekong River region.

But, the governments have cracked down on drugs. As I said, in some places, if you are caught with drugs the penalty is death.

If you really want to go to the opium growing area today, then you have to go to Afganistan.

Nowadays, the term 'Golden Triangle' is used by tourism operators in Thaland to refer to that place on the Mekong River where the borders of Myanmar, Laos, China and Thailand meet. You can go there on a bus tour, get your photo taken under a sign that says "Goldon Triangle", maybe buy some souveniers, and hop back on the bus to your hotel. Sound like fun?

Cheers

#4 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 07:04

• tropicaladv-
    enture

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2009

Thanks guys,, Think I will not go up there incase i get temptted and do something silly,,, you might have just saved my life, again thanks

#5 Posted: 26/5/2009 - 16:19

• manooe

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

There is the opium Museum which is located in the Golden triangle. It is another must - see if you are in Golden Triangle.
    Quickly Google, I have found our this link:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/40196922

#6 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 10:16

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

These guys have it one hundred percent right. If you get caught using drugs in Europe or the States (and you probably won't get caught) you are dealing with a fine, maybe parole... whatever, no big deal. You get caught here and you are dealing with deportation, possibly some prison time in a horrible prison with barely subsitence food and a healthy does of brutality. You don't want to go there.

#7 Posted: 10/6/2009 - 03:10

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

i totally agree with the advice given here and personally find it difficult to understand why anyone would want to go to SE Asia just to sample drugs?! It always bemuses me when i see these types of questions being asked. It is a strange motivation to travel

kind of off topic but they actually call where i live "the golden triangle" and use that to promote the area! i wonder if they realised that it originated with a reference to the drug trade haha

#8 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 23:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Chris
    Well, I agree that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. So I think it's good he asked the question - now at least he's informed if he wants to do drugs, go to Amsterdam. That's the place to go for vacation is you're a druggie.

#9 Posted: 22/6/2009 - 23:35

• darkstar

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009
    Location United States

It's good to know it's only in the movies. I just watched Tropic Thunder which is of course a Ben Stiller comedy, and a funny one at that, but they had the Golden Triangle as a real place. Any of you world travelers out there know where it is safe to go on a horse back riding trek through the mountains? I'm bored with riding my 6 horses here in the States, Mexico and Canada, and am looking for a bit of adventure, of a more normal kind more or less.After 18 years in the Army, I need a little adventure. I understand the mountains in Thailand and Vietnam are nice. Any suggestions.

#10 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 01:53

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

darkstar

You wanna go horse-trekking and don't know where any are located?

Mmmmm!!!

We, here in Australia, have a 5300km (3300 mile) horse trek route (it takes about 6 months, but you can do in parts) from southern Victoria to the top of Cape York (in Queensland) - riding along the Bicentennial trail...

http://www.nationaltrail.com.au/

Otherwise, try googling the term 'horse-trekking' and the name of the nation.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 06:45

• darkstar

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009
    Location United States

Hey BruceMoon, I've ridden horses all over the States and have friends that go on horse treks across Ireland and Spain. I'm looking for something more exotic. I've been there and done that and am getting bored. I've been searching the internet with no success and was hoping to get some suggestions. Not to be rude, but Australia does not thrill me, been there, done that. Beside I couldn't be away from my horses or my students for that long.

I'm looking for a couple of weeks of riding through the mountains somewhere I've never been and I've heard there were some in Thailand but haven't been able to find anything. Many of the sites I found were no longer valid.

Europe is too tame and too familiar, my instructors were French and British (I'm a graduate British Horsemaster). Been to South America. (Married one-but I was too adventurous for him. I'm not a clinging vine and just a tad too independant for most) The majority of my horses are from Canada.

I've just started my search and was hoping to find more information. Perhaps I shall just keep looking for something that interests me.

Thanks again,

#12 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 07:18

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

#13 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 08:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Darkstar
    If you are serious, I have a friend here who's ex husband (who's still her good friend) has a stable (also owns six horses - but I have been there yet, I just discovered this yesterday, quite the coincidence). I think he breeds race horses, but I need to see and talk with him. He's in That Phanom which is in Nakhon Panhom province in Thailand.

I am also a veteran, now retired, from the US Army. I'll talk to the guy for you in two weeks (I have to go to Bangkok next week to get a new passport) and see what we can hook up for you. Guarantee it will be cheap. Google NKP you'll see I am in very rural Thailand, but live in a fair sized city.

#14 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 12:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Needed to check notify box.

#15 Posted: 30/6/2009 - 12:26

• darkstar

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009
    Location United States

Thanks MADMAC for the info. Do you live in Thailand? I'm retired from the US Army as well. I had found a place in Chiang Mai, the Thai Horse Farm. Right now I'm going through the hassle of trying to get my passport renewed.

#16 Posted: 11/7/2009 - 02:17

• angfonz

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2009

How do places like Vang Vieng get away with publicly selling 'Happy Pizzas' if there are such strict substance control laws in the area?

#17 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 00:28

• darkstar

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2009
    Location United States

Thank BruceMoon for the info on the ponies. I've been in touch with the Thai horse farm. They raise Asian Mountian horses which are actually ponies. That's what I ride, ponies, they are easier to maintain, quicker on their feet and easier to get on and off when going through wooded areas. My now retired pony, Dark Star, I found in a field of cows 20 years ago. We've gone straight up and down cliffs, mountains, rivers, whatever was in the way. I haven't been able to find one to replace her yet.

#18 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 02:36

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

darkstar

I'm not a horseman, but I understand your view.

Here in Australia, mountain cattlemen used a large pony sized horse - called a brumby. So successful were these that when grazing circumstances changed, and the larger horse became fashionable, the brumby bred up in the wild and became a pest.

You may have seen the movie - The Man from Snowy River. The horses used in the film were Arabians. The Snowy men both then and now, us brumbies. The Snowy area is far too rugged, and totally unfit for the Arabian sized horse.

Hope your (to be planned) excursions to SE Asia (and maybe Yunnan) turn out to be pleasurable.

Cheers

#19 Posted: 12/7/2009 - 06:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Golden Triangle ... By sarah6969pink on 17 Jan 2014 5 538 20 Jan 2014
chiang mai/golden triangle/laos ... By johntstone on 5 Jun 2011 0 1349 5 Jun 2011
Visiting the Golden Triangle from Chiang Rai ... By jenny_v on 16 Sep 2011 4 3788 20 Sep 2011
Organized tours for the Golden Triangle? ... By Missbonnie on 10 May 2010 2 1281 12 May 2010
Golden Triangle Riders Welcome Motorbike Travellers ... By 1lonetraveller on 5 Jan 2012 0 1068 5 Jan 2012