Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Voluntary or Paid work?

Posted by johub on 29/5/2009 at 18:30

Just wondered if anyone can give me some advice on undertaking some voluntary/paid work.
I am hoping to get to Asia (prob) Thailand in August and maybe go home in March but I am very flexible!
My Friend taught English to monks in Cambodia. Anyone heard of this?
Thanks

#1 johub has been a member since 29/5/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by brucemoon on 30/5/2009 at 20:02

Johub

I've also heard of people teaching English to Monks. I assume the Monks were ready and willing to be taught.

On another 'front', check out:

http://www.travel-to-teach.org/costs.php

In that vein, many rural groups (esp. hilltribes) get little education and would appreciate voluntary offers. But, it would have to be reasonably well planed and structured. Those working with refugees (eg. at Mae Sot) could also help you.

Cheers

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/6/2009 at 10:51 admin

You won't have too much trouble finding volunteer work -- be it teaching to monks, helping out in orphanages etc. For paid work, teaching english is the most common legal option.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.