Southeast Asia forum

Voluntary or Paid work?

• johub

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2009

Just wondered if anyone can give me some advice on undertaking some voluntary/paid work.
    I am hoping to get to Asia (prob) Thailand in August and maybe go home in March but I am very flexible!
    My Friend taught English to monks in Cambodia. Anyone heard of this?
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 29/5/2009 - 18:30

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Johub

I've also heard of people teaching English to Monks. I assume the Monks were ready and willing to be taught.

On another 'front', check out:

http://www.travel-to-teach.org/costs.php

In that vein, many rural groups (esp. hilltribes) get little education and would appreciate voluntary offers. But, it would have to be reasonably well planed and structured. Those working with refugees (eg. at Mae Sot) could also help you.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 30/5/2009 - 20:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You won't have too much trouble finding volunteer work -- be it teaching to monks, helping out in orphanages etc. For paid work, teaching english is the most common legal option.

#3 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 10:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
voluntary work ... By alexelam on 30 Aug 2011 1 1532 24 Sep 2011
Voluntary work in French speaking area ... By Dgrego on 29 Mar 2010 0 1328 29 Mar 2010
Hostel exchange in Bangkok - voluntary work in return for a free bed ... By Eldwyer90 on 21 Aug 2014 2 434 21 Aug 2014