Southeast Asia forum

A starting point: thailand, cambodia,laos, veitnam and indo in 6 months!?!

• tammivalent-
    ine

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2009
    Location South Africa

Hi there

We are a young South African couple who are going to be moving to china in August 2009 for work. We wanted to plan a 6 month trip around south east asia, plans are stil in the very early days but I have been researching quite a bit already as i'm very excited!

We have 6 months 1st July-31st December and so far what I'm tryin to plan is just a basic outline of our trip and would like to do my own further research on each place.

We are keen on seeing a good variety with environmental and cultural mix. We are keen scuba divers, surfers and hikers. And were thinkin of a budget of around $13 000 or 8000 pounds for the two of us for 6 months(travel money including flights to and from china) we happy to rough if out and are planning to travel as much as possible by land.

If you could pleae just give some basic advice about best route, best order considering the weather at that time of year. Then I will start with filling in all the details and itineries!

Our plan was
    Starting point China- Chongquing
    Laos- 4 weeks
    Cambodia- 4 weeks
    Veitnam- 4 weeks
    Thailand 6 weeks
    Indonesia 6 weeks

Do you think it is worth travelling to/from indo via malaysia (heard it more expensive there)in which case it would probably be 5 weeks indo 5 weeks thailand 3 weeks malaysia

Possibly to fly to indo from china then work our way back up? Or else to work our way down to indo and then fly back to china

We don't want to be to rushed or have to spend two many days in buses/trains. know all the advice is less is more! Is this a realistic plan or should we rather choose to spend more time in fewer places

Thanks for any advice
    Tammi and Juan

#1 Posted: 31/5/2009 - 14:43

• Advertisement

• brucemoon

Click here to learn more about brucemoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Tammi and Juan

In some respects, and in terms of logistics, I'd suggest the reverse. That is start in Indo and move up through SE Asia. And, I'd probably add in a trip from SE Asia to Yunnan province China before heading to Chongquing.

Not only will you be getting progressively colder (a help as Chongquing is known as a one of the 4 icebox furnaces (extreme cold, and fierce heat as well as an industrial centre)), but July is a bit wet in SE Asia and 'doing' coastal(ly) areas can be better than enduring wet wet wet in the hinterland.

If you 'do' Indo, check out Manado for diving. I'm sure others will add ideas here.

Malaysia is great, while it's about 30% more expensive than Thailand, it does have some great attractions. Taman Negara is an amazing hike area (I came in contact with Orang Asli hunter gatherer's on my last visit).

If you do the reverse, you could fly from Indo to KL (AirAsia) and from Penang to Phuket (Firefly) to do your 'beachy' thing.

From the southern 'beaches' go to BKK, and look into that area. Clearly, you then have the option of east to Cambodia, then Laos & Vietnam, or north to Chiang Mai across to Laos, down thru to Cambodia and across to Vietnam. Then, up Vietnam (and maybe into Yunnan).

Just some ideas.

Whatever you do, try and do some hiking in Nthn Laos (Luang Nam Tha area) for a bit of asia that is fast becoming mere history.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 31/5/2009 - 15:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

One quick point, being keen divers, you may want to allow more time for Indo and Malaysia, perhaps shave a week or so off Cambodia or Thailand -- both of which have poorer diving.

#3 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 11:05

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

T & J

As you'd know, the coral reefs of the Indo-Pacific stretch from the east coast of Africa through to the Hawaiian Islands. However, the closer one gets to the 'core area', the better diversity these reefs offer viewers. The 'core area' is in SE Asia: a map of the 'core area' is at:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070808082051.htm

According to 'reef - ologists' (ie those that appear to speak only coral reef language) apparently 'THE' centre of coral reefs in SE Asian waters is the Malaku Islands. Access is either via Halmahera or Gag Island (a focus of recent lobbying).

Cheers

#4 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 12:35

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

and...

Also noticed this that may interest:

http://www.explore-2100.com/irian/irianrpt.htm

Cheers

#5 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 12:36

• tammivalent-
    ine

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2009
    Location South Africa

Thanks for the great advice and links. After thinking about it a bit more think we should definately spend more time in Indo(best diving and surf!) and seeing as we right there and the diving looks great, would be a waste not to explore malaysia! Also think flying to Indo from china and working our way up will be best especially with regards to the weather! Also exploring the yunnan province as well on the way back to chongquing. Getting excited!
    So we're rather looking at:
    Indo 8 weeks
    Malaysia 4 weeks
    Thailand 4 weeks
    Cambodia 3 weeks
    Veitnam 3 weeks
    Laos 3 weeks
    Thanks again for the advice and tips

#6 Posted: 1/6/2009 - 19:22

• brucemoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

T & J

If you are going to spend time in Indo for diving in and around the places I suggested, then I wouldn't be focussing on either diving or surfing in peninsular Malaysia.

I suspect that if you attempt same, you'll be greatly disappointed (pity that conservation isn't valued in the more populated parts of the SE Asia region).

Cheers

#7 Posted: 2/6/2009 - 05:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia 3 Months - Starting October 10 ... By chatz on 29 Aug 2009 15 5103 21 Jun 2010
2 months in Cambodia and Thailand starting March ... By Dafinder on 16 Oct 2013 2 524 19 Oct 2013
How much money to allocate for transportation in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Veitnam ... By quddus on 11 Nov 2008 1 3033 19 Nov 2008
Visa's for Indo, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand = Headache for me. ... By bedders on 19 Aug 2010 4 3837 21 Aug 2010
solo 23/M planning on thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia and maybe malaysia starting 29Dec. ... By robbell on 16 Dec 2011 8 2036 16 Jan 2012
Travelling south thailand, laos, cambodia from Feb2011 starting Bangkok, looking for people to join ... By rachael27 on 2 Nov 2010 24 3829 23 Apr 2011
First time travelling to Thailand - goind for 6 months- starting in Bangkok! ... By Kitty78 on 11 Jul 2008 44 10590 10 Jun 2009
Thailand, Loas, Veitnam, Cambodia Sept - Dec ... By colmflanagan on 1 Aug 2012 2 840 4 Aug 2012
Thailand, cambodia laos 2-3 months ... By ashley23 on 26 May 2012 3 2172 28 May 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia - 3 months ... By rossco on 25 Jul 2011 0 2959 25 Jul 2011